Halifax customer: do I still need to prove identity for savings account?

François

I have a current account and credit card with Halifax. I am wondering have any other Halifax customers opened a flexi or fixed savers account? If you did, were you still asked to produce a passport, utility bill, tax cert etc to prove your identity?

If Halifax already have those details from your current I cant imagine why they would need them again. Most other banks do not request the ID etc again

Irish Nationwide insisted on the whole shooting match from me and all I was doing was moving money from their deposit account to another deposit account in the same branch................maddening

If Halifax already have those details from your current I cant imagine why they would need them again. Most other banks do not request the ID etc again
Many do. I don't think Halifax did last time I opened another account though.

I wasn't asked for ID from Halifax when I opened another account (like OP had current a/c & credit card & opened savings a/c).

Anglo Irish Bank were the same, once they had the details from my first a/c, they weren't needed again.

Anglo Irish Bank were the same, once they had the details from my first a/c, they weren't needed again.
Anglo also have an option whereby you can opt into allowing them to open new accounts on your behalf by email/fax/letter.

In recent months I have opened second or subsequent accounts with INBS and AIB and both required all identification documentation again.

Only after opening fixed deposit account with halifax a few weeks ago. Was in same position ie. already had current account. As long as you tell them, theres no need for the proof of address/i.d. - just stick a note in with the application form and send it off.

Only thing I did notice is that it seemed to take an age (a few weeks..and they reckoned they never got my first application) to sort this out. Was wondering whether this was policy as had large sum sitting in halifax current a/c...or maybe i was just getting para.

OP - post back and let us know how long it take to actually get a/c open from the point of posting in application.

i opened an account with halifax and subsequently opened a second account. They sent me a letter asking for more ID and i told them no they should have it on file.

They then hounded me for 2 weeks (i got about 5 calls) giving out to me for not sending in more ID! I ended up closing my current account as i have never had so many problems with a bank.

Then they went and opened the account anyway without the ID they wanted!!

I had a current account open with Halifax and a while ago I opened a term deposit and an on demand account. Both accounts were opened in store in about 2 minutes with no documentation required just a signature.

I rang Halifax earlier in the week and I was told I wouldn't need to produce identification as I am an existing customer.

Back