Guinness cans and the floating widget issue.

As I can't convert you to trying Murphys or Beamish once again, I'll try and explain something about the Waterford Blaa. Back in the day when we lived in Waterford we used to buy our blaas on Ballybricken (corner shop across the road from the Garda Station). They were affordable, fresh and available always. It was worth driving to Ballybricken early just to get the blaas fresh for your immediate breakfast. The blaas were magnificently tasty. Some people had more fondness for the lower section of the blaa although I preferred the top.

Soft white bread rolls are insipid next to the blaas. I've seen "Waterford Blaas" recently in Dunnes Stores - they fall down on the job on taste, size, appearance, smell and feel.

I've tried baking the Waterford Blaas from a recipe using Strong Flour and still were not as good as the blaas I used to buy in Ballybricken.
So what I'm hearing is that freshly baked bread is nice and you're no good at baking bread. The rest was just blaa blaa blaa.

You're learning though, Purple - You're coming up in my estimation. You'll be supporting Cork Hurling next (if they manage to beat Dublin shortly).
Steady on now, I'm Irish so I'd no more support Cork GAA than New York or London GAA.

The Blaa was made by a Frenchman as well.

But then the Brothers got their hands on it...
Another leap in the history of the Waterford Blaa came when Brother Ignatius Rice, founder of the Christian Brothers, set up his own bakery and tailor’s shop at his newly opened school in Mount Sion, Waterford City, in 1802.

But then the Brothers got their hands on it...
Another leap in the history of the Waterford Blaa came when Brother Ignatius Rice, founder of the Christian Brothers, set up his own bakery and tailor’s shop at his newly opened school in Mount Sion, Waterford City, in 1802.
I forgot that Waterford gave us the Christian Brothers. A bit of a mixed blessing that lot. Iggie was born in Kildare but made in Waterford. I was educated by the Christian Brothers. I wasn't touched; I was an ugly child.

Seems the recall has been cancelled;

Is anywhere still selling the real widget Guinness?

It appears to me there is a correlation between age and preference for bottled G. If you prefer bottle is it because that was what you had when you were (much) younger?

Edited for typo selling not seeking!

Last edited:
Don’t know if it's the same everywhere, in my local Dunnes and Centra;

It’s only the 24 pack slabs that have the inferior fixed widget 470ml cans.

The 4, 8 & 12 packs are still the original floating widget 500ml cans.

If unsure, give the pack a shake, you will hear the widget in the floating widget cans.

I've done a taste test.

Got herself to pour different cans over a few nights into similar glasses, she poured some out of both so that there was no obvious visual difference. An equal number of 500ml and 470ml cans were used.

They were distinguished by the time and day they were poured.

Hate to say, I failed miserably to tell the difference.

I've done a taste test.

Got herself to pour different cans over a few nights into similar glasses, she poured some out of both so that there was no obvious visual difference. An equal number of 500ml and 470ml cans were used.

They were distinguished by the time and day they were poured.

Hate to say, I failed miserably to tell the difference.
Keep at it; you just need more practice. Oh, and well done, you are providing a public service.

It appears to me there is a correlation between age and preference for bottled G. If you prefer bottle is it because that was what you had when you were (much) younger?

Edited for typo selling not seeking!
My paternal Grandfather drank large bottles with a Powers chaser , most men in Waterford drank large bottles up until the late 80’s when lager became more popular particularly during the summer months.
Even then there was a large market for large bottles of Carling , Bass , Smithwicks and Phoenix.
I drank large bottles from the age of 15 - first sampled during a holiday in Ballybunion with 5 friends - we were allowed a freedom to wander the highways and byways of Ireland that is probably unknown now.
As I grow older I would tend to drink an occasional bottle with a Paddy chaser but tend to stick to lager now - the gassyness of large bottles is a drawback now !

Back