Guest Network on Virgin Broadband Hub - Any Issues To Consider?

MrEarl

Hello,

I've been considering setting up a guest network, on our Virgin Broadband Hub.

At first glance, it looks like a great idea - we can give guests and friends broadband access when they visit, at no extra cost and without having to share our own broadband password.

However, I was wondering, are there any risks, limitations or drawbacks to doing this?

Does it weaken the speeds on the main account, for example?

Likewise, does it impact or restrict our ability to do anything on the main account, of there are guests streaming Netflix movies or games on the guest line, for example?

Any security risks, other than those that exist as a result of anyone else on the Virgin Broadband network across Dublin?

Many thanks

There's really no meaningful risk or drawbacks to doing this.

The guest users will obviously share your Internet connection, so yes if somebody on the guest network is watching NetFlix then there will be a little less bandwidth available to you, honestly though with the speeds Virgin Media provide these days this will be unnoticeable.

I think you may also be asking if simply enabling the guest network, even when nobody is using it, is slowing down your primary network and the answer is no it will have no impact.

It's a good idea, gives you more control and is more secure in that guest devices don't get to see everything else connected to your wifi and sniff all the data on that network.

I'm not familiar with the Virgin hub, but on the more advanced ones, you can set quality of service parameters that will reserve or prioritise bandwidth for devices or applications you choose.

Back