Got final warning about my motor tax dated ten days before.. but I got no reminder.

The problem is that in order to pay online you have to have a PIN - which only comes with the reminder.

I think the privacy issue Complainer outlined is the reason why you can't just pay online but I've not seen any reasonable justification as to why people can't choose (their choice) to receive the reminder via electronic means.

Think this is a red herring. You dont need a PIN number to buy a tax disc in a motor tax office, so why should you need one to pay online?

People can change the pin to one of their own choosing when they first register. Then the pin wouldn't need to keep being reissued.

And if we assume (safely I think) that the same people who choose to receive the reminders by e-mail are the same ones who will be paying online then I don't see what the issue is.

I agree. Even when you sell a car - you are sending off bits of paper.

We are living in 2010.

The whole motor tax thing is old fashioned and inefficent.

Think this is a red herring. You dont need a PIN number to buy a tax disc in a motor tax office, so why should you need one to pay online?
Because the name and address of the registered owner aren't displayed in the motor tax office.

I really think this is yet another example of AAM's armchair experts putting theory ahead of practice. The most likely outcome of this approach is (in my non-expert opinion) reduced income to Govt (as people just don't bother to renew), Gardai and Courts getting clogged up with fines, callers on Joe Duffy (as happened already this week) blaming the terrible system for for putting people in prison etc etc. It's a lose, lose situation.

In theory, perhaps people shouldn't need reminders. I'd suggest the practice would be fairly different.

I think revenue did a great job of automating their services online over the last few years.

Why not continue to provide reminders for the next year or two with large bold info stating that paper reminders will be cancelled from x date. Log onto motortax.ie to setup a self service account? You could even have access to account top ups like eflow etc.
Implementation and change management are obviously very important for issues like this, but with a similar campaign to revenue it could get up and running over a decent period of time?

I agree, and imagine we can even do our banking on-line,our shopping on-line,we can pay our bills on-line,we can even get our insurance on-line. Mad Ted,mad..

Or we could be really radical and do this.... follow the 'polluter pays' principle...and add the tax to petrol/diesel costs..

Or we could be really radical and do this.... follow the 'polluter pays' principle...and add the tax to petrol/diesel costs..

Agree with this.

Because the name and address of the registered owner aren't displayed in the motor tax office.

Still dont get it. No need for name and address of registered owner to be displayed online either. All you need is a system where you simply put in the registration number, the tax amount and pay by credit card. Disc is sent to registered owners address regardless of who pays.

Then you miss the opportunity to get people to confirm and (more importantly) update their registered address.
Brilliant idea - and you could do the same for basic 3rd party insurance costs, so no more uninsured drivers. I think they do this in Oz.

I really think this is yet another example of AAM's armchair experts putting theory ahead of practice.

I was aiming more for another example of sarcasm, but I'll take being referred to as an expert as long as I get to pick the armchair.

I was aiming more for another example of sarcasm, but I'll take being referred to as an expert as long as I get to pick the armchair.
Apologies - it went way over my head obviously. And I guess it went over the heads of the '+x' fans too.