Got final warning about my motor tax dated ten days before.. but I got no reminder.

galleyslave

I got my 'final warning' the other day that my motor tax was overdue.

Funny thing is I never got my reminder. Also my final warning was dated 10 days before it arrived.

This really ticked off as I could have been done for no tax. I rang motor tax in Shannon and they confirmed it wasn't posted for until just before I got it so they sat on the damn final reminder. muppets!

Must be the latest revenue generating scheme by the bandidos running the country

why not pay it on time in the first place?

yeah, that was the plan, but I didn't realise it had expired. The reminder would have, well, reminded me. That didn't arrive and the final reminder was late.

Pretty sloppy from motor tax don't you think.

Perhaps you should know when your tax expires?

After all, if you take the long walk round to the front of your windscreen you'll see the date.

Why should it be someone else's responsibility?

perhaps. but jeez, I'm not asking for some kind of forgiveness here (or flagellation either). The tax is paid now that I realised it was due. I'm simply, you know, shooting the breeze, letting off steam etc..

Still, if the dept of motor tax are going to issue reminders and final warnings then in all fairness, there ought to be a degree of responsibility on their part to actually issue the things in a timely and reliable fashion. It IS easy to forget these things.

Would have to agree with previous posters - why not pay your tax on time instead of ranting about the 'muppets' ?

I wondering is there even a need for Shannon to be sending reminders and final reminders.

You have staff tied up in watching backlogs and sending tens of thousands of letters.

Is there realy a need? Put the responsibility on the motorist.

Instant money saver, well if the staff get deployed onto something else anyway

Almost certainly auto-generated letters but I think your point still stands. I assume they send the reminders as if they didn't there'd be more like GS just letting it slide. If everyone let it slide by a couple of weeks road tax revenue would be down by 5% per annum. More than offsetting the cost of sending letters to a few slackers.

Gallyslave, get the finger out. You've single-handedly bankrupted the nation.

yeah, clearly I'm public enemy number one for not examining my windshield every day !

Actually, Im a hero to the nation for paying my arrears and interest but that's another story, and I'm modest by nature.

Seriously, I think too many folks here are missing my point - it's not about late payment of motor tax. Its about the motor tax depts incompetence - ie inability to send out the letters they are supposed to send out and the content thereof. Case in point - the reminder includes the PIN code you need to pay tax online, the final warning does not include the pin - why? Also, why print a final warning saying you have 10 days to pay and then not post it for 10 days. Muppets, and I say again, muppets.

While I hear what you are saying gallyslave, and I can see how we are in most cases so used to getting our reminder in the post,that if we don't receive it,we can easily let it slip.

However another issue was raised about the cost of this,and a poster mentioned that the revenue that is taken in more than makes up for the cost of postage,it still is something that should be looked at from the point of view of saving money,taxpayers money.
Most people have now got mobile phones and or emails,surely this is a much more efficient and cost effective way of notifying us that our tax is due?If not maybe we could opt to have it sent by post ,but you would have to pay the cost...
I haven't checked yet,but if you multiply the amount of car owners by the cost of an envelope a stamp, paper,ink, staff etc,it must be a huge amount of money,never mind the waste of time,paper etc,maybe this can be dealt with by the greens..think Ill email Mr Gormley./less.:)....

don't forget the reminders include the pin required to log on and pay online. Not sending the reminder in the first place costs us, the end user, far more in wasted time

Probably driving a commercial vehicle as well which you only use to bring your wheelie bin from one end of your driveway to the other

Bleeding tax dodgers!

;)

yeah, clearly I'm public enemy number one for not examining my windshield every day !

Actually, Im a hero to the nation for paying my arrears and interest but that's another story, and I'm modest by nature.

Seriously, I think too many folks here are missing my point - it's not about late payment of motor tax. Its about the motor tax depts incompetence - ie inability to send out the letters they are supposed to send out and the content thereof. Case in point - the reminder includes the PIN code you need to pay tax online, the final warning does not include the pin - why? Also, why print a final warning saying you have 10 days to pay and then not post it for 10 days. Muppets, and I say again, muppets.

I see your point Galleyslave:) Sympathy can be a rare commodity around here sometimes but if you're ever looking to get a good old bashing someone will always oblige :D

I see your point Galleyslave:) Sympathy can be a rare commodity around here sometimes but if you're ever looking to get a good old bashing someone will always oblige :D
I agree with lightswitch. Has nobody ever forgotten about an annual bill until the reminder/renewal letter lands on your doorstep???
Its Friday folks, cheer up:)

I agree with lightswitch. Has nobody ever forgotten about an annual bill until the reminder/renewal letter lands on your doorstep???

Probably everybody. But they don't blame the provider for not reminding them.

I get a credit card bill every month. If I'm slow to pay, I get hit with a penalty charge - not a reminder.

Maybe that's the approach the motor tax office should adopt.

There should be the option of having the reminder sent by e-mail instead of by post.

Also, I lost my pin number for my renewal lats year and when I phoned to get a replacement the woman in the motor tax office started moaning about how many phone calls she has to answer from people about lost pin numbers each day. As I said to her - why not just keep the same pin number and then you wouldn't have to keep re-issuing them.

You can actually tell the ones who would survive very well if Ireland ever becomes a dictator led state rather than a Republic............. woops, has that already happened and I fogot to open the letter :eek:

staples - its a lot easier to remember a recurring bill like the credit card than an annual one, dont you think?

DB74 - when I phoned to find out about the non issuance of the reminder and the late delivery of the final notice the only solution offered was to report the reminder! I told her I wasn't prepared to drive around illegally any longer than i had to so her solution was useless...

No. You get bills - you pay them. Then you get some more and you do the same with them.

If the tax office imposed a penalty for non-payment within 30 days, would it alter your approach?

Back