Golden Pages Delivery.

BOXtheFOX

Got my delivery of the latest editions of the Golden Pages. Left on my doorstep as usual. Unfortunately a number of my neighbours are away on holidays and each house has the directories left on their doorstep. I rang Golden Pages and suggested that perhaps they might do the deliveries outside of summer holiday times . Their answer, we deliver a card with the directories asking neighbours to consider taking in their neighbours directories if they are away on holidays until they return.

Why are they assuming that all neighbours will do this for each other?

In this day and age of mobiles and internet why do they even deliver phone books and golden pages. If you want one, you should have to order one instead of delivering one to every house.

It would be more expensive for them to send them out only when people ordered them.

Most people would have at least 1 neighbour that would do that for them, if not then it says more about you, your neighbours or just the world we are living in now.

Doesn't matter when golden pages gets delivered it's always going to be in the middle of a holiday or when someone is away.

It's just luck when yours does get delivered. The people that are delivering the golden pages get to choose the areas that they want to do. The easier areas always get choosen first, like houses with no driveways.

Most people would have at least 1 neighbour that would do that for them, if not then it says more about you, your neighbours or just the world we are living in now.

Whhaaaa? I get on great with my neighbours but as the ones above me have a flight of concrete steps up to their front door I cant see their doorstep so wouldnt know if there was a Golden Pages sitting on it - nor would I usually know if they were away (unless they were right next door and had asked me to keep an eye on the place).

So with all the best intentions and good neighbourly relations, I wouldnt be picking up their Golden Pages from the doorstep.

Its more to do with the layour of housing/apartments rather than a reflection of personality or modern society.

It would be more expensive for them to send them out only when people ordered them. ...
Truvo Ireland Ltd.
Registered office: St Martin's House, Waterloo Road, Dublin
Certificate of Incorporation No. 25471.
VAT No. IE 9T 50980O.
Company registered in Dublin, Ireland.

is a commercial organisation, whose customers (the advertisers) pay to have their details listed in the Golden Pages phonebooks / website and the books delivered to phone users, commercial and residential.
... Most people would have at least 1 neighbour that would do that for them, if not then it says more about you, your neighbours or just the world we are living in now. ...
Why would a commercial organisation depend on neighbourly goodwill to deliver on their commercial contract with their customers?

I find it bizarre that someone would propose this imposition on neighbours free of charge to improve a commercial organisations profitability and redress an obvious security breach visited on unwitting neighbourhoods.

I believe its the responsibility of Truvo Ireland Ltd. and its agents to find an effective delivery solution that does not compromise the security of peoples' homes while they are on holiday.

There's a number of fairly obvious simple solutions that could include, for example, a post-card through the letter box with the address of a local central location (post-office, library, community centre, garda station) where directories can be collected, and paying the central location for the service.

How do you figure that?

If you have to make multiple visits to a street/road to deliver the directories one at a time it must be more expensive than making one visit and delivering to all houses in that road or street.

How do you figure that?

The printing will be cheaper. Say they estimate that 500,000 will order the phone book to be delivered, so they have 500,000 printed. If it turns out that 1,000,000 actually want the phonebook then to print the 500,00 twice will be more than ordering the 1,000,000.

They you have the delivery costs. To post each book out is out of the question. Thats why they use a distrubition company. They get paid per phone book not how many hours they delivery. It wouldn't be worth there while to go to certain addresses, even if they are close together.

Whhaaaa? I get on great with my neighbours but as the ones above me have a flight of concrete steps up to their front door I cant see their doorstep so wouldnt know if there was a Golden Pages sitting on it - nor would I usually know if they were away (unless they were right next door and had asked me to keep an eye on the place).

So with all the best intentions and good neighbourly relations, I wouldnt be picking up their Golden Pages from the doorstep.

Its more to do with the layour of housing/apartments rather than a reflection of personality or modern society.

But the OP said he could clearly see the golden pages on their door step, thats a bit different to your neighbours front door being out of sight. But if you could see it would you think to bring it in for them untill they returned...if you knew they were away.

is a commercial organisation, whose customers (the advertisers) pay to have their details listed in the Golden Pages phonebooks / website and the books delivered to phone users, commercial and residential.

Why would a commercial organisation depend on neighbourly goodwill to deliver on their commercial contract with their customers?

They dont depend on people to do it, it's just suggested that if you know of a neighbour that is away, could you bring it in for them untill they are back from where ever.

I find it bizarre that someone would propose this imposition on neighbours free of charge to improve a commercial organisations profitability and redress an obvious security breach visited on unwitting neighbourhoods.

Free of charge....my god can we not do a simple thing for anyone, be it a friend, familt member of even a total stranger with out wanting to be paid. Your not being asked to babysit it for months, clean it and make sure it's comfortable for the short time it will spend at your house.

I believe its the responsibility of Truvo Ireland Ltd. and its agents to find an effective delivery solution that does not compromise the security of peoples' homes while they are on holiday.

This can be said for people that have glass porches, you can clearly see all the mail if someone is away. Or letter boxes on the wall. It's not that hard to know if someone is away.

There's a number of fairly obvious simple solutions that could include, for example, a post-card through the letter box with the address of a local central location (post-office, library, community centre, garda station) where directories can be collected, and paying the central location for the service.

Another expense that will increase the cost of advertising. And where do you propose that these places put the phonebook or golden pages? Can you imagine the space needed for 1000 of them. A pallet of golden pages only holds 340 golden pages!! Then you have people that might not drive, or elderly people that probably wouldn't be able to carry one home walking or on a bus.

People pay for these to be delivered to the door, same with ads taken out in news papers or leaflets. If you dont want them delivered you can have a sign on your letter box saying so.

And lets not forget all the people that would be out of a job also.

All this just so you dont have to do something which is at max only once a year and would be considered a 'nice' thing to do for a neighbour. Doesn't matter is you have lived beside them for 10 years or they have just moved in. Would it really be that much of a big deal to do??

I returned from holidays last year to the Golden pages sitting outside my door. Don't know how long it was there, no others were out, I have ground floor own door apt, I know none of my neighbours to be honest, it was obivous i was away.

I would ask if its necessary for them to be delivered at all. I have golden pages saved to my favourites at work, anything I need I look up on that or just google the required information. Who actually uses the paper edition now?

I arrived home yesterday to find the golden pages + new 01 directory outside the front door - picked both of them up, walked thru house and dropped them in the green recycling bin - does anyone else do this ?

It's a pointless exercise delivering these phone books to most houses. Goldenpages and eircom phone books are both available online and we prefer using them online.

@samanthajane, do you have some vested interest in the Truvo Ireland Ltd. / Golden Pages / delivery van thing that has led to you compose what I can only conclude is the deliberately obtuse post above?

The bottom line is that people don't seem to want the product and don't want it delivered using current methods. My suggestions for alternative delivery mechanisms in my post above were only off-the-cuff suggestions and they didn't really warrant the carefully composed rebuttal you penned. The real alternative (to ready online access) if they must send out a "publication", is to burn the whole lot onto CD / DVD and post it out - very cost effective and delivering an opportunity to cut overall costs and advertisers' fees.

Harping on about "neighbourliness" and "nice to do" ignores the fact that this is a money-making commercial operation that is badly planned and badly run by the principal and the sub-contractors IMHO. Assisting at the irresponsibly executed back end of the process just lets the principal and the sub-contractors off the hook.

Because i have an opinion that differs from your i have to have a vested interest in the company. Just to make clear i have no connections with this company.

So far 7 people have said they dont see the need for it. I dont call that "the people" in the way you make it sound.

They wern't off the cuff remarks at all, it was a serious question......where do you think they could store these? If this is what the majority of people want then it's something to look at, but the storing issue is a major concern that i was making you aware of. Did you know only 340 golden pages fitted onto a pallet?

Of course there in it to make money anyone in business that isn't shouldn't be in busines in the first place.

It's been this way for years. Do you think libraries should be done away with as well because we can down load books?

Obviously it's not a problem for many, many others since people still use the golden pages, and companies still advertise.

I never wanted one until my phone and therefore my internet was out, and I wanted to call my provider, who wasn't Eircom and I didn't know the number. When I got the broadband back, I saved all the relevant numbers to my mobile for future issues. Didn't bother with a book though. In apartment blocks, they just leave a bundle in the lobby area. They get thrown out by the cleaners after a few weeks if they're not taken. It's a gross waste of paper these days.

On a side issue, I find the goldenpages website difficult to use. I've often put in the name of a company I knew existed and it couldn't find them. So I just google.

It would be more expensive for them to send them out only when people ordered them.

Maybe it is a reflection of the world we're living in, but that's not by choice for most of us. A lot of people are forced to live in large housing estates where everyone is out at work all day, commuting for hours, and busy catching up at weekends. Its not like years ago where women were at home chatting over the wall and Dads were out on the Green in the evenings organising football games. Golden Pages has no right to put the security of people's property at risk by carelessly abandoning their commoditiy on people's doorsteps where it might lie there for days, advertising the fact that nobody is home.

If you dont want the directory, post it back to them with no stamp, and they will have to pay the postage. If enough people do this, they will soon get the message.

How do you know this?

Cause I was curious one day so I counted them.

This was a few years ago, so unless the golden pages have either gotten bigger/small, or the heigh restriction have changed for a pallet then it should still be pretty much the same.

This is for the 01 golden pages, it would be more for other areas as they are not a big.

Back