going to salary

J

jack

My boss wants to change me to a salary (have been on hourly rate up to now)
What are the differences and implications of this as I'm not sure what to accept...

hours and overtime

Hi,

make sure that by moving to a salary you are not losing out:

Check what hours you will be expected to do normally. Does the salary work out better than the hourly rate.

Also will you be expected to do overtime? Will you get extra for this or is it supposed to be covered by your salary?

I'm sure there are lots of other things to consider.

salary

does going to a salary automatically mean that you don't get overtime ?
I always understood a salary was fixed pay for the job, rather than hourly and getting paid overtime as required...

salary

> does going to a salary automatically mean that you don't get overtime ? does going to a salary automatically mean that you don't get overtime ?

I guess it depends on your contract of employment and if/how it will be amended by switching from hourly rates to salary. Some jobs pay overtime for additional hours worked above and beyond the normal working hours specified in the contract of employment, others (like all the ones that I've ever had!) don't and you may be required/expected to put in the necessary hours (within the constraints of the working time directive) to get the job done without additional pay as and when required. Has you boss explained why he wants to switch you from hourly rates to salary and what the implications might be?

Re: salary

Just to be clear - Were you an employee or a contractor when you were hourly paid?

Re: salary

I have always been in favour of hourly rate - it's great capitalism!

Every employee is entitled to a contract of employment which sets out, amongst other things, the normal hours of employment and how hours in excess of this are to be treated (i.e. whether overtime or time-in-lieu or some other arrangement applies).

Moving to a salary does not therfore imply that you you will be required to work additional hours without pay. However, if your employer seeks to enter this into your contract and you agree, then this would obviously change things.

For more infor on your employment rights, check here:

www.entemp.ie/employment/rights/

OT

Hi DtheM,

I have always been in favour of hourly rate - it's great capitalism!

I thought piece work was closer to the catitalist model. For instance being paid by the block on a building site?

ajapale

Back