Getting the most out of this property investment?

Noor77

I know someone in the following situation:

Investment property One (apt): Worth €260,000 to €280,000, no mortgage, rental income €800 p.c.m

Investment Property Two (house): Worth €200,000, mortgage about €160,000, rental income about €650 p.c.m

Investment Property Three (apt): Worth €215,000, mortgage €230,000 (because only purchased recently), rental income about €750 p.c.m

Personally, I think this person could be doing a lot more with their property investment, but I lack the financial know-how to see exactly how.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Gross annual salary, without considering rental income, is approximately €90,000
Gross annual salary of partner is €20,000

Title edited by ClubMan.

Re: What next?

Would they not consider diversifying into something other than property to spread the risk a bit?

what exactly is wrong with the outlined scenario.

Re: .

Is that directed at me? If so, assuming the properties represent a significant proportion of the individual's overall wealth, then the concentration on a single asset class and geographic region (I'm assuming all Irish properties) leaves them exposed to risk that could be mitigated by diversifying across a wider range of asset classes, grographic regions and risk/reward profiles.

All properties are in Ireland. This person is a bit nervous about investing in property abroad, although I myself think it would be a good idea. What kind of foreign market would you suggest?

Actually I was thinking that they'd might want to diversifying into assets other than property - e.g. equities/shares etc. - to spread the risk and create a more diversified/balanced portfolio. Investing all or most of one's wealth in a single asset class may not be the most prudent approach to take.

Yes, but I didn't think (and again, I'm pretty clueless in this area!) that returns where as good in other investment areas as they are in property?

Re:

Is the investment return really that good?
Take your friends latest purchase for example. I presume he/she paid 230000 for the property and is receiving €750 per month rent.
750 x 12 = 9000
9000/230000 * 100 = 3.913%
That is the return before subtracting costs, tax etc. Not sure what subtractions are common, but they will surely reduce the return substantially. Now, it is possible that older investment properties were purchased at lower prices and therefore might deliver a higher percentage in regards to the original investment, but certainly not when making the relation to the current value.

Yes, but I didn't think (and again, I'm pretty clueless in this area!) that returns where as good in other investment areas as they are in property?

Perhaps - but (assuming the person doesn't have other significant non property investments) concentrating so much in a single asset class and geographic region would not generally be considered a prudent approach to spreading risk and diversifying one's investments. If, for example, there was a property crash or a significant slump in the rental market then having all one's eggs in the one basket might not be such a good idea.

Hi

I would tend to agree with Clubman and would worry about having all eggs in the one basket. Therefore, looking at other investment classes may be worthwhile. If investing in more property then perhaps look at diversifying i.e. perhaps by property type (residential vs commercial, single family vs multi-unit, etc.) geographical location, etc.

I would agree that the rental return on the asset values are quiet low. However, this doesn't necessarily mean that the cash ROI (return on investment) is poor.

For example on the 200,000 euro house, the mortgage is 160,000 euro and assuming a 40,000 euro deposit was paid then the ROI (before expenses/loan repayments) would be 19.5% ( i.e. (650*12)/40000 ). Not so bad! However, once you take expenses and repayments into account then I think it could struggle to be cash positive unless an interest only mortgage is used. If the monthly outgoings are (say) 600 euro per month then the cash on cash ROI would be 1.5% (i.e. (50*12)/40000 ) which is sub-inflation and illustrates the downside of a weak rental market. Therefore, the investor would be depending on growth in equity to drive the ROI.

Regards,
Paidi

What next

Noor77
Are any of the properties Section 23 type properties if not then there would be a significant benifit in getting into this section if they want to stay in Ireland.

Roger.

What lender?

I am so curious on this !!! Which lender does this person go with for these properties. The LTV looks good . The income to outgoings ratio is right at the 45% - I've heard that lenders will normally lend around 40% but some will stretch to 45% - do you happen to know which lender ? I'll be trying to do something similar..

Investment Property Three (apt): Worth €215,000, mortgage €230,000 (because only purchased recently),

How did they get a mortgage fr more than ther value of the property?

Hi again

I edited my first post because I had overstated the mortgage on the principal residence by €120,000! And also, the house is worth a bit more.

Re: mortgages: all are from AIB

This person views investing in property as a form of compulsory saving (their words), but I'm not so sure ...

Oh, also, they borrowed more than the cost of the last house so they would have money to buy furnishings etc...

and the mortgage company is happy that the mortgage is for moe than the value of the property?
jd

the mortgage company would base their ltv calculation on the value and income from entire portfolio not the value of a specific property. i think in most circumstances a family home would be excluded from this, hence the reason that people often get top-up equity releases to fund investment deposits.

Perhaps the bank is okay because 2 of the properties are virtually mortgage free ???

i would say that that is the case. it woud not be because of the rental incomes which are pretty dismal, given the values.

So is this person most definitely doing the wrong things financially???

Back