getting a gift from usa would I have to pay customs

coleen

My sister bought a gift for me which was pre owned off a web site she was giving it to a friend to bring it to Ireland for me, the friend is now not traveling so she wants to post it. It is valued around 100 euro would I have to pay customs on it?

I presume so. I recently bought some software from the states and paid pretty much full price for it. When UPS came and delivered same, they presented me with a bill fo €52 from customs as the software was purchased for about €200. I was silently raging (but there was no point blaming it on the delivery man).

That is completely touch and go, customs don't open every package, mark it as a gift - a toy - beauty products - it's random, mark down it's value (ie 40 dollars), full return street address to full street address - !'d say 10% chance of being caught for customs

Used to post a lot of stuff home from the USA and I agree with the pp's, on the customs form mark it a a gift and put down a value of $35 - $40 and you should be fine. I have never heard of any of my friends having to pay customs.

I've sent gifts in the opposite direction with no problem.
One example is a waterford crystal clock sent to a cousin in Boston. The shopkeeper where I bought the clock (after shopping around) told me if I do the postal through her then I wouldnt have to pay VAT so I got an even better deal by sending it through her and only paying the VAT FREE price.

I presume so. I recently bought some software from the states and paid pretty much full price for it.

That would be viewed as "merchandise", which attracts VAT at a lower value than a "gift" would. Any merchandise valued at €22 or above will be taxed.

The Minister for Finance actually answered a question on this subject just this week, but the Oireachtas website doesn't seem to have any debates up since April. I can't remember what he said the threshold was for items marked "gift" but I think if you follow Santry's advice you should be fine.

I had a family member ship me some personal second hand clothing from the states - he insured the package for $400 just to be safe even though the value of the contents was marked as $35. Irish customs tried to charge me 200euro to release the package. When I refused and told them to just send it back, they agreed to open the package and released it once they'd confirmed the items were second hand!

its very hit and miss I've bought some stuff from abercrombie first time had to pay vat, 2nd time didn't, think it just depends who is on and what way they are feeling

Back