Gemma O'Doherty Travel Ed @ Indo most heinous fashion crime: men's shortsleeved shirt

Tintagel

I was reading an article by the travel Editor of the Irish Independents Travel Supplement this Saturday.

In it she says that the most heinous of fashion crimes for a man is to wear a short sleeved shirt. I have a nice selection of Cotton Linen mix short sleeved summer shirts that I am very fond of. Gosh! I really don't want to upset this important person who shortly after the Japanese Tsunami and reactor problems was urging us all to pack our suitcases and head to Japan for our holidays.

So I am looking for advice here....what should I wear?

Personally I like to see a man in short sleeved shirts ( try saying that fast or when drunk!) - much prefer them to T shirts any day.

Nothing wrong with a bit of man-arm on display!

Live and let live. Wear what you want to wear and with confidence. Some of the stuff in the papers recently about what you can and can't wear is dreadful. Too much of Paul Galvin recently too with clothes that certainly wouldn't appeal to me.

They need to fill pages and sound important. Wear what you want and what you like not what is in.

They need to fill pages and sound important. Wear what you want and what you like not what is in.

Oh indeed, but if you're reading the fashion column then perhaps youre interested in wearing non-offensive clothing. In which case there are charity clothes bins that will still accept short sleeve shirts, I believe.

I too heartily encourage display of man arm, although it is so much more attractive when appropriately clothed. In case you were wondering, the only thing worse than sss are tank tops or vests which are ugly beyond redemption even if you do work out regularly and want to display your biceps-please don't, some of us want to eat later. T-shirts are acceptable. As are long sleeved shirts and t-shirts. Anything else is on a case by case basis only.

In the office I hate to see blokes wearing short sleeve work-shirts (and I'm a guy!).

I think they look very 'David Brent' and I personally find the sight of other people's hairy forearms (i.e. the mens') quite off putting in meetings.

When it comes to shirts, I advocate double cuff, with smart cuff links (not the novelty ones, i.e. hot and cold taps, footballs etc).

Not a fan of short sleeve shirts but still not as bad as the sandle and white sport sock. Lord it's looks awful.

When it comes to shirts, I advocate double cuff, with smart cuff links (not the novelty ones, i.e. hot and cold taps, footballs etc).

I think you would look a right tosspot if you were strolling down main street Aix en Provence with your double cuff and cufflinks during the summer. In fact I think you would look a right tosspot if you were strolling down main street Aix en Provence in winter looking like that.

Go bare-chested Tintagel, out and proud; or wear a fetching string vest and sew a Jean Paul Gautier label to the back.

In the office I hate to see blokes wearing short sleeve work-shirts (and I'm a guy!).

I think they look very 'David Brent' and I personally find the sight of other people's hairy forearms (i.e. the mens') quite off putting in meetings.

Maybe it's a gender thing because as a woman I hate to see women coming to work in vest type tops with bra straps showing, or even worse, low slung trousers (particularly when they bend down for something and you get a flash of tramp stamp, knickers and ass crack!)

My husband often goes to work in short sleeved shirts, but he does have his own office and says he always puts his jacket on for meetings

you get a flash of tramp stamp, knickers and ass crack!)

You're selling it to me now!!!

I used to wear short sleeve shirts to work but not for years - more of an economic decision - they're not much use in December, need less shirts if all long sleeve.

And in hot weather I get to go all Tony Blair opening them up or rolling them up etc.

Low slung trousers on 99% of women are the work of the devil. Ok, Cameron Diaz or any of the ilk of eating disordery or very young and beautiful might get away with them but most women actually have bodies with flesh and not just skeletal frames.

Short sleeved shirts on men are fine by me, as are vests - I like a bit of man arm, and I like a hairy bit of man arm into the bargain.

I stand corrected - David Brent wears long sleeves after all. Maybe short sleeves not so naff....

[broken link removed]

They can wear any kind of shirt they like as long as they use deodorant. Its surprising how many men don't in hot weather. Yuck.