Gay Byrne

At the time we didn't really appreciate Gay for how good he was. He was popular and his show was hugely successful but we didn't fully realise just how special he was. His work ethic, strong personal beliefs coupled with a respect for other views, his journalistic instinct for topics to discuss and questions to ask, all made him who he was. Certainly he might have got offside with the public once or twice but it would be impossible not to. The thing is he never shied away from that and actively encouraged debate.
It's sad when you lose someone like this, all the more when you come to realise we might never have someone that talented again or if we did, would they get the same opportunities in the bland world of chat shows that now exist.
He was a one off and will be fondly remembered.

It's sad when you lose someone like this, all the more when you come to realise we might never have someone that talented again or if we did, would they get the same opportunities in the bland world of chat shows that now exist.
He was a one off and will be fondly remembered.

Yes it seems also to mark the end of an era in which it was possible for someone like him to emerge.

I do remember hearing a radio interview interview with, I think it was parkinson, saying within their industry he was really hughly respected.

Talk show hosts in Britain and the US watched 'videos' of him interviewing because there was no YouTube etc. So he was appreciated in his time by his peers.

For anyone who, like me, got tired of the excessive coverage, Callan's Kicks on Friday 8th November took his usual irreverent take on it.

Brendan

Now Brendan, you know you won't be able to be critical about Gay Byrne or the reaction to his death until at least 2045 or he achieves Sainthood.....

Now Brendan, you know you won't be able to be critical about Gay Byrne or the reaction to his death until at least 2045 or he achieves Sainthood.....

Gay was the best presenter of TV shows by a mile, in my opinion. There is no one that even comes close.
I would love to see Graham Norton present the Late Late .

I would love to see Graham Norton present the Late Late .

Why would he ? Last night he had Kylie Minogue, Elizabeth Banks, Ricky Gervais & Lewis Hamilton. Ryan Tubridy would donate a kidney to have just one of those and that would be the highlight of a season. And who would want to jump ship to RTE in this climate ?

What I meant was he ,in my opinion , is the only one who would be good enough to present it. There is no way he would leave his present job and unfortunately there is no one in Ireland good enough to present it.

What I meant was he ,in my opinion , is the only one who would be good enough to present it. There is no way he would leave his present job and unfortunately there is no one in Ireland good enough to present it.

There may be lots of people in Ireland who could do a great job with it, but who knows, RTE hasn't used any new talent since Pat Kenny was in short pants.

I like Graham Norton but he doesn't do serious. I think he has lost interest in his current show.

I liked Brendan O'connor, thought he made the best of an awful show.

I think Graham Norton would be a good choice . The Late Late should bring back having the audience involved just like Gay Byrne did. It is much too serious now and and everyone seems so rushed. Katherine Thomas would be a good choice , in my opinion.

Haven't watched the Late Late in years. Tried a few times but life is too short.

Graham Norton, much and all as i like him and he is a Corkman :) would be too light hearted and would struggle on some of the more sensitive topics. Personally, I used to really like Anton Savage when he was on the radio and his interview with the guy building the glamping site in Sligo is still the funniest thing I've heard on radio in 10 years.

Tubs is always good on the Toyshow though

If all the presenters take as much of a pay cut as it seems that they will have to then any of us might be asked to present it :D. So keep your Friday nights free....

For anyone who, like me, got tired of the excessive coverage, Callan's Kicks on Friday 8th November took his usual irreverent take on it.

Brendan

Another reason not to listen to that talentless nobody. RTe could make a quick saving by scrapping that buffoon

Back