Gas Boiler Water Pressure

bren1916

Folks, the following problem occurred last night:

Have Gas boiler installed about 3 yrs ago now and although water pressure gauge always fluctuated between 0.2 bar and 1.2 bar - never had any problems with heating until last night.
Although system fired up to heat water - it failed to fire up to heat rads.
Gauge was at zero bar and presumed this was the problem ie locking itself out due to low pressure.
Eventually I left controls in 'on' position and rads fired up 15 mins later.
No visible leaks and all rads bled so anyone any advice before calling plumber in?

Thx,

Bren.

You might have to let water into the system to increase the pressure. If the pressure is zero then the system won't work and you'll probably do damage to your pump if you're trying to run it on dry...

Is there a tap under your boiler which can be opened to let water into the system? Mine has that, and when the pressure drops below about 0.6 bar the boiler won't fire; all I need to do is open the tap until the pressure rises to about 1 / 1.1 bar. It's a condensing gas boiler, which may be relevant. Have a look below the boiler and see if there's something like that: if so it's a very minor issue and you'll avoid possibly expensive call out charges. And if not and you're in Dublin I can recommend a really good plumber if you don't already have one!

Ther may be a pressure vessel in trouble, ( Sealed system)

Or the header tank is low (open system) Generally the header is in the attic. Sealed system doesn't need this header tank to provide pressure.

Maybe the cirulation pump is on the way out.

Again more info required.

Thanks Lads - I'll have answers to questions re: make/model etc when I get home later.Entire system only installed approx 2 yrs ago and this is 1st time any trouble with it..
No visible taps to let in water as this was first thing I looked for.
Not sure if it's open or sealed system but basically the boiler is situated in kitchen/utility area with 3 pipes dissappearing up into ceiling.I'll have more info later..
Thanks,

Boiler is a Baxi potterton Solo 3 PFL 30/80.
Same thing occurred last night - pressure at zero so left it at 'on' and boiler kicked in on second attempt and worke fine.Within 15 mins pressure had risen to 1.3 bar.Certainly no visible leakages or valves to let more water into sytem which leads me to believe it may be tank fed.Still tho - never had any water pressure problems in the area at all.??

Back