Gas Boiler servicing

I take it with those readings, it's a standard efficiency boiler, however, he has set the Analyiser up to read a high efficiency boiler. :-o
A boiler service is not just a safety check & a quick clean of the heat exchanger. It is servicing the appliance as per the manufacturer's instructions & a drain down of the boiler to check/adjust the vessel pressure is a must. He must also gas rate the appliance to see if the boiler is running within +5%/-10% of MI's.
He must check standing & working pressures to ensure they are within limits. He must do all this with any other gas appliance switch on at their max, such as a hob with all rings on full & a gas fire on high fire.

I take it with those readings, it's a standard efficiency boiler, however, he has set the Analyiser up to read a high efficiency boiler. :-o
A boiler service is not just a safety check & a quick clean of the heat exchanger. It is servicing the appliance as per the manufacturer's instructions & a drain down of the boiler to check/adjust the vessel pressure is a must. He must also gas rate the appliance to see if the boiler is running within +5%/-10% of MI's.
He must check standing & working pressures to ensure they are within limits. He must do all this with any other gas appliance switch on at their max, such as a hob with all rings on full & a gas fire on high fire.

So, its not a proper service in the fullest sense in your opinion. In essence this is what Bord Gais have been doing every year with me and Electric Ireland this year. I don't have a gas fire, but they have never gone near the gas hob.

This is my argument all along. They charge more for less.
The cooker should be turned on to full output whilst the boiler is gas rated & working pressures tested.
If the cooker has a lid, this MUST be raised for the gas soundness test, otherwise the rings are not tested for leakage.
The vessel pressure must be tested as per MI's & the only way this can be done is by the boiler being drained fully.

He does not know how to use his FGA!

I changed a boiler only last week where an installer installed it 5 years ago that broke every reg in the book. BG serviced it every year since & never said a thing to the customer. When I was upgrading the gas pipe to the correct size, I went to cut the pipe & the whole pipe fell out of the gas meter. It's joint was never tightened & was leaking gas for the past 5 years! Luckily outside, but each year BG had apparently soundness tested it.

The first thing I do is soundness test to see if the system is gas sound. When I finish my works, I soundness test again, just to make sure I started with a sound system & I am leaving with a sound system. Gas man's paranoia is a beautiful thing!

I finally got my customer service callback from Bord Gais today 23rd October about the no-show of the boiler servicer on 8th October. They must have a lot of complaints to wade through. They are sending me a cheque for €30 as a goodwill/apology gesture.

I lodged my €30 today, but had to lodge it to our mortgage account as we don't have any other joint account. Ah well, something to look back on in years to come.

Did you notice if he drained down the boiler & check/adjust the expansion vessel pressure? This would be one of the most common call outs I get & is rarely checked during a service.
You probably won't get the system drained and pressure vessel checked on a standard service. Plumber would have to charge double the price and wouldn't get any work.

Back