Galway & Cryptosporidia. How are people coping? May be working there soon

gearoid

Hi,
I am possibly looking at taking a contract position in Galway city for six months. What I see and read about the cryptosporidia outbreak is horrific.
How are people coping?
Should I re-consider?
How easy is it to get clean water?
Is the County Council providing tankers or do you have to buy expensive volumes of bottled water for brushing teeth?
Are there queues in shops and shortages for safe water?
Have people stopped using restaurants?
Is the ice in pubs safe?
Do I have to close my mouth when showering etc etc etc?

Is there an official website showing affected areas?

I am thinking now that perhaps I should rent somewhere like Castlebar and commute as it is clear and I would be working on the west-side of the city.

Thanks for any first-hand experiences...

Gearoid

Thanks clubman,

I got the following thanks:

The following regions are NOT affected:

Connemara West of Barna

Galway County
• West of Moycullen
• South of Oranmore
• North of Tuam
• East of Athenry

Am reviewing the second link now....

There could be concerns about the water supplies from the Mask in addition to the Corrib and Carra.
The drinking water is not all that good overall in many areas - I have taken to buying the Aldi water or filling up 5 litre containers at Supervalu.
The whole situation is a disgrace. Even now I do not think that the authorities are being wholly truthful about the situation, Mayo Co. Co. are quite capable of keeping quiet about water concerns in the interests of tourism....

How easy is it to get clean water?
Is the County Council providing tankers or do you have to buy expensive volumes of bottled water for brushing teeth?
Are there queues in shops and shortages for safe water?
Have people stopped using restaurants?
Is the ice in pubs safe?
Do I have to close my mouth when showering etc etc etc?

Gearoid

Its fine, not an ideal situation but life is continuing as normal here. Co Co is not providing water as yet but I think measures are being put in place to provide to the less well off. Nobody is fighting over the last bottle of water in shops :D restaurants are still packed and pubs either have no ice or import it.

Just read the local paper and saw this.............
[broken link removed]

Last edited:
last year in south Armagh they water tasted foul. really bad. green stuff on the lakes was the cause. anyway they put water tankers into the village and also suppled large plastic airtight containers with taps attached for easy pouring. coincidentally the water in Dundalk and also Castleblayney was also pretty naff tasting during this period so lots people from north louth and south monaghan were also getting their water 'free' courtesy of the norn iron water service.

It's funny how we never worry when we go abroad and have to buy bottled water as a matter of course....

the water in Spain/Portugal etc is perfectly safe for cleaning teeth. just that the mineral content is different from our own and its not worth chancing getting sick for the week for the few cents. I rented an apartment in the Costa del Sol in Spain a few years ago and the owners had a sign saying the water was ok to drink. AFAIK this crypto thingy doesn't affect the Spanish/Portugese/French/Greek water.

25% of water supplies at serious risk of crypto - things are not just 'fine' at the moment in our dear green isle. We can't afford to put tourism and business interests before public health.
It is a national scandal that a lake such as the Corrib could be allowed to become contaminated - read the report on Galways water on the BBC website.
There are many areas in Spain where it is perfectly safe to drink the water.
The snow falls on the mountains, when it thaws it flows into underground caverns and then is channelled (the old moorish system) to supply the surrounding communities.

Have a look at this new website

[broken link removed]

A campain website to let people have there say and to speed up the solution to the Galway Water Crisis

Back