Fully paid by credit card last Monday. Could I cancel order ?

Julius

Walking past large retailer last Monday and saw sign for significant discounts on mattresses on sign outside the shop. Sign said the offer ended Monday. Spoke to sales assistant and asked if the offer definitely ended that day. Was assured it did. Purchased a mattress €1,500 and paid for it fully. Delivery up to 8 weeks away. Went back to the shop yesterday to also order a bed base/frame. Noticed the mattress price had not gone back up to pre offer price. However I put aside my irritation and went to purchase an expensive ottoman bed base. It was only when I asked about amount of space needed to get it into house and up the stairs was I told that it would have to be assembled on site and that they charge €120 for doing this.
On reflection I would like to cancel the mattress order and get transaction reversed on my Mastercard as I don't like being taken for a fool when I made a deliberate decision not to buy online so as to support retail here and also to buy Irish made product. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Tell the retailer that you want to cancel the purchase and hope that they allow you to?

Last edited:
Thanks @ClubMan . There's no product return involved as mattress delivery is 8 weeks away. I think the fact that I paid the full amount instead of the 20% deposit shows my bona fides and I'm not "messer. If they offered to assemble the Ottoman bed base free instead of charging €120 then I'd order it and not wish to cancel the mattress order. I'd be reasonably satisfied that their bit of sharp practice/deception had cost them €120.

Last edited:
Thanks @ClubMan . There's no product return involved as mattress delivery is 8 weeks away. If they offered to assemble the Ottoman bed base free instead of charging €120 then I'd order it and not wish to cancel the mattress order. I'd be reasonably satisfied that their bit of sharp practice/deception had cost them €120.
Have to put all this to them?
What did they say?

If you were willing to pay the purchase cost for the mattress on that day then I don't see how it still selling for the same price the next day makes any difference.
It's annoying to be lied to but it's seems largely irrelevant to the original purchase to me.

Can't you decline their offer to assemble the bed and do it yourself?

I kind of agree with you but I stressed to the sales assistant at the very beginning, before I started looking at product, that I wanted assurance that the sign outside the shop saying that the mattress offer ended that day, meant what it said. I'm just irritated and feel naive and a bit stupid and so need some "win" to make me feel a bit better about it.

I kind of agree with you but I stressed to the sales assistant at the very beginning, before I started looking at product, that I wanted assurance that the sign outside the shop saying that the mattress offer ended that day, meant what it said. I'm just irritated and feel naive and a bit stupid and so need some "win" to make me feel a bit better about it.
It's quite likely that they had absolutely no idea whether or not the offer would be extended the following day, or dropped and reinstated a short time later.

A friend of mine who works part-time in a similar role in a men's clothes shop has whispered to me in the past that she's never informed of the detail of sale offers or indeed price hikes until literally the signs go up. I presume that's a deliberate strategy on the part of the shop to limit the risk of periodic sale offers gutting their core full-price offering.

It's no secret that many furniture outlets operate in an almost constant sale. Some of them have been shown to work around legislation governing this area by making minute changes to details of a product so that they can successfully claim it is on offer at a reduced price. Consumers need to stop focusing on an imaginary saving and look at the price they are paying for a product and ensure they are happy with the value they are getting. Thinking that someone else might pay more for the same thing shouldn't come into it.

As Tommy says, staff on the floor will not always be clued in to promotion periods, and that will be so they don't tip off shoppers that it might be better put off a purchase and come back another day risking them buying elsewhere in the meantime.

Ultimately though on your question of cancelling the order, you will need to tell us the terms of the sale that you agreed to. It would be very unusual for furniture/bedding sales to include a cooling-off period in the terms, so it is unlikely that you have any right to cancel the sale without a loss of some or all of your payment. The store of course are entitled to refund you in full, but that is solely at their discretion.

Thanks for your replies and I agree with you all. I'll head out now and order the Ottoman base but I'll ask them to cancel the original transaction for the mattress and then ask them to do a new transaction for the mattress and ottoman together except this time I'll only pay the 20% deposit required under their terms of sale. They might not agree to this because they might fear that I could then avail of the 48 hour cancellation clause - I won't but they can't be sure of that. If they don't agree then I won't order the Ottoman base and I'll never shop in Harvey Norman again.
@ClubMan , I will be able to assemble the Ottoman myself but it will be difficult unless it comes with good instructions like Ikea.
I think that the salesperson I dealt with should have said that she could not guarantee that the reduced price offer would not be extended.

They manage their online presence very well. You have to go down a few pages of Google to find questions about their "Sale" tactics.

This one is funny and very well told.

Brendan

And it was too tempting for Harvey Norman not to cite a three-year-old RRP on Sony headphones as the basis for an over-egged Black Friday ‘sale’ price, which was nowhere near the actual discount applied.

Back