First Active Credit Card: Any better than the rest?

Alex

i see that first active are now doing a mastercard! i am very interested in this product but am curious as to why they only offer a 500 euro credit limit. has anyone here gotten one of these cards yet, if so what do you think of it?

Re: First Active Credit Card!

No idea

- I imagine its something linked to RBS/Ulster Bank, perhaps piggybacking on the zinc card from Ulster ?

no mention of it on their website: [broken link removed]

Any more info available ?

Cheers

G>

Alex said:
i see that first active are now doing a mastercard! i am very interested in this product but am curious as to why they only offer a 500 euro credit limit.

Why are you so interested in a FA credit card over any of the others available?

first active say that they are offering one of the lowest rates around and that got me interested. i bank with ub but i also have an account with first active. i would like to have a card with my own bank. i had a cc with mbna several years ago but i closed my account as i wasn't happy with them.

Once again (prepares for concomitant flak) ... the interest rate charged really should be irrelevant if you use a credit card for cashflow management rather than as a source of longer term credit and make sure to clear the balance each month before interest accrues.

it's handy for those who don't mind paying the interest from time to time but that is not the only reason. see above.

Alex said:
i see that first active are now doing a mastercard!
Where did you see this?

Alex said:
i am very interested in this product but am curious as to why they only offer a 500 euro credit limit.
A €500 credit limit would seriously limit its usefulness.

i saw it in a branch and i have the application form in my house. i now see that the limit can be increased if needed. 500 euro is ok to start with. i wouldn't really be a big spender with a credit card anyway.

What does it (the First Active card) offer, that say, the Ulster Bank Zinc card does not?

Can you post details of:

• Cash advance fees
  • FX fees
  • APR on purchases
  • APR on cash
  • Balance transfer rates
  • Interest free period
  • Type of card-VISA or MC

type of card: mastercard
interest free period: 56 days
balance transfer rate: 0%
apr on cash: 17.7%
apr on purchases: 9.9% fixed for the first 12 months
cash advance fee: 1.5%

what is the FX fee? i am not interested in a zinc card plus i earn just under what is needed to get one of them.

Thanks for the info. If they post it on their website, I may consider adding it to the Best Buys list in some form.

The FX fee is the rate they charge on converting non-euro purchases to euro.

i will have a look into the FX fee and post details as soon as i can. this is a brand new product. i don't know why they haven't put any details regarding this card on their website but an information booklet can be picked up in any of their branches.

It could be that they are targeting existing customers only. Any offer to the wider market would encroach on UB territory, so there could be a higher power holding them back.

"An administration levy equivalent to 2% of the transaction value will be charged for cash advances and purchases outside of the euro-zone"

could this be the FX fee you are talking about?

Alex said:

apr on cash: 17.7%

While the initial 9.9% for 12 months on purchases seems quite good, that APR on cash transactions is far higher than some of the other cards around I believe.

I doubt I'll be tripping over myself trying to get in the door of a FA store, to apply.

Cheers

G>

one could always switch to another cc provider after the 12 month period. i know of people that do this. it has been mentioned here too from what i can remember.

Alex said:
one could always switch to another cc provider after the 12 month period. i know of people that do this. it has been mentioned here too from what i can remember.

'Rate tarting'

i myself have never done such a thing but i have heard about people who contine to transfer their balance from one card to another. someone also mentioned it here before a while back. i wouldn't do it as it would be too messy. i would just stick with the one credit card. who offers the lowest rate on a credit card anway? is it bosi? my mother applied for a bosi cc recently.

Back