Fewer Nativity Christmas Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lunch time live discussed it during the week and people were having the same problems with the type of Christmas cards this year compared to last year ..

Many of the themes sound ideal for the December 25 celebration of Sol Invictus and the Yule period, appropriated by Christians.

But that won't stop you spearheading the Moan-About-Everything-Brigade.
Yule good word, need to use it more...

I think Leper should just be grateful that the cards didn't feature a female baby infant born to two homosexual men with three non-binary wise people present......
Only a matter of time. The Norwegian Postal Service have made a Christmas ad featuring a gay Santa! Quite tastefully done, actually.

Last edited:
Lunch time live discussed it during the week and people were having the same problems with the type of Christmas cards this year compared to last year ..
Newstalk? That show uses social media as it's primary source.

I was in the greeting cards business for many years and still would have need to visit the main wholesaler and also know the guys who do most of the charity cards.

And it's literally is down to market forces. Nativity scenes don't sell anymore and get returned at the end of the season.

A far cry from 20 years ago when they would sell exceptionally well

Many of the themes sound ideal for the December 25 celebration of Sol Invictus and the Yule period, appropriated by Christians.
I do love the irony though, the way religion in general and Christianity in particular appropriates things and then cries about it when someone else does the same thing.

I do love the irony though, the way religion in general and Christianity in particular appropriates things and then cries about it when someone else does the same thing.
That’s entitlement for you. It’s all part of a bigger picture. Look how many schools teach kids that it is a fact that God exists etc.

That’s entitlement for you. It’s all part of a bigger picture. Look how many schools teach kids that it is a fact that God exists etc.
I've no problem with religion in religion class. I have a big problem with it outside religion class.
Soon there'll be no religion at all anywhere, please god. ;)

When my kids were old enough to ask about Santa I told them the truth. The same went for god. I said that I didn't believe as there is absolutely no evidence to support the notion but they were perfectly entitled to believe if they wanted. My oldest daughter recently watched a documentary about people leaving Scientology and the feelings and emotions they expressed after 'escaping' were what she felt after, as she put it, getting free of Catholicism. Her mistake was actually reading the Bible. It's like bad sci-fi written by a sadistic child.
Needless to say she wouldn't be a big fan of nativity scene Christmas Cards. I'd be more laid back about it all, sure it's just a makey-up story anyway.

Oh, and @Leper, don't worry, within a few short years nobody will be sending any Christmas cards anyway. I don't think I've ever sent one. That's mainly because I'm lazy and badly organised rather than a decision I made some time.

I've no problem with religion in religion class. I have a big problem with it outside religion class.

When my kids were old enough to ask about Santa I told them the truth. The same went for god. I said that I didn't believe as there is absolutely no evidence to support the notion but they were perfectly entitled to believe if they wanted. My oldest daughter recently watched a documentary about people leaving Scientology and the feelings and emotions they expressed after 'escaping' were what she felt after, as she put it, getting free of Catholicism. Her mistake was actually reading the Bible. It's like bad sci-fi written by a sadistic child.
Needless to say she wouldn't be a big fan of nativity scene Christmas Cards. I'd be more laid back about it all, sure it's just a makey-up story anyway.
I'm reminded of the Rowan Atkinson sketch of the devil welcoming people to hell. In one version he goes "Athiests? Atheists? You must be feeling a right bunch of Charlies right now. In another he goes, "Christians? Christians? I'm afraid the Jews were right after all"

Who really knows and I guess we will either find out one day or it will all go dark. Regardless, to me, Christmas would not be the same without a decent version of "O holy night" as opposed to people singing about drunk tanks.

Are you suggesting that the Irish charities somehow knew well in advance that an internal EU committee were looking at guidance on the language to be used in EU publications, and somehow took a leap from there with no evidence whatsoever to suspect that it might end up being extended into some kind of ban on the broader use of Christmas terminology or imagery that would be rolled out into law so quickly that it would have to bypass the normal process?
No I'm not and I suspect you know that. This has been going on for quiet some time. In my humble opinion of course

Who really knows and I guess we will either find out one day or it will all go dark.
If there is a god and they created this vast universe then I have to think that they don't have low self esteem and so won't condemn anyone to everlasting hellfire for not being a suck-up.

If there is a god and they created this vast universe then I have to think that they don't have low self esteem and so won't condemn anyone to everlasting hellfire for not being a suck-up.
. . . . and if there is a God and you eventually meet Him I have no doubt He will learn something from your vast knowledge of everything. I bet He will be impressed with a purple New Statesman Reader.

But, if Purple and I arrive together (most unlikely bearing in mind our age difference) remember lepers always were looked on favourably in the Bible.

I'm reminded of the Rowan Atkinson sketch of the devil welcoming people to hell. In one version he goes "Athiests? Atheists? You must be feeling a right bunch of Charlies right now. In another he goes, "Christians? Christians? I'm afraid the Jews were right after all"
"French, French - this way please....."

I love a good nativity. But in my kid's secondary school, Religion is a compulsory subject and Science in optional. That is an educational system with seriously screwed up priorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back