Favourite TV series

(Sorry! Removed! I thought it was about best tv series ever... But it's about current tv series)
There are people here who think 24 was a great TV Series, up there with Monk and The Mentalist and other such formulaic drivel, (yes, yes, that's aimed at you @Knuttell!) so whatever you talk about is good.

Each to their own taste I suppose Purple, ;) I thought the Wire, Sopranos, GOT to be thoroughly excellent but 24 just edges it for me.
Different strokes for Different folks...(not the 80s tv show which truly was appalling)

Each to their own taste I suppose Purple, ;) I thought the Wire, Sopranos, GOT to be thoroughly excellent but 24 just edges it for me.
Okay, you've redeemed yourself a bit with those three. (and I'm sure the opinion of some anonymous bloke on the internet means the world to you)
Different strokes for Different folks...(not the 80s tv show which truly was appalling)
What you talking about?

Last edited:
At the time , long ago, Different strokes was ok and Father Ted and Faulty Towers were good . Looking back at them now they all seem rubbish.....to me.
Perhaps it's just me though :rolleyes:
The Sopranos was very good ..

Maigret starring the formidable French character actor Bruno Cremer.

The criminal investigations are just vehicles for observations of human nature steeped in the milieu of post war France.
Not so much whodunnits as whydunnits and wheredunnits.

(If you can tolerate subtitles or can understand French)

There is 1 copy in the Dublin library system of the first set of episodes.
Bumping my own post as this wonderful French version of Maigret is currently being repeated on satellite channel Talking Pictures TV at present. Episodes are broadcast with hard coded English subtitles.

Recently broadcast episodes can be watched for free in UK & Ireland for 7 days via this player. Registration is free.

The Boys on Amazon.
Best dystopian TV series.
Best "Super Hero" TV series.

Vey dark, very violent, superb character development, genuinely frightening bad guys, excellent acting.

It answers the questions "what would really happen if someone with super strength punched someone" and "could someone like superman actually hold up an aeroplane?" as well as "what would happen if someone with super speed accidentally ran into a person?" and "What if Superman was a narcissist?" (How could he not be?)

Up there with Watchmen as the best superhero movie or TV series.

Excellent series, very much in love with it. Karl Urban is quality, as is Antony Starr who really does a wonderful job of portraying Superman as a narcissist (as you excellently put it!).

I was watching an episode recently of Secret France with Dick Strawbridge (with his wife Angel they also are in Escape to the Chateau). Before that I remember him in The Hungry Sailors. It was set in the snow covered Auvergne in France, they visited Vichy ... could have worked as a Christmas special. It just a nice pleasant diverting way to spend an hour.
Games of Thrones, The Wire at al are brilliant, but I couldn't watch such shows all the time :)

So here's a shout out to those types of series, yes a lot of the output if mediocre, filling the hours, but every now and then it comes nicely together in an episode. I'm thinking of Michael Portillo on the trains, Rick Stein, the Hairy Bikers (RIP Dave), James Martin, Michel Roux and before that the late great Keith Floyd. Even Gordon Ramsay can be fun, when he is on his travels and not exasperated and steaming at incompetent restaurant staff.

I was watching an episode recently of Secret France with Dick Strawbridge (with his wife Angel they also are in Escape to the Chateau). Before that I remember him in The Hungry Sailors. It was set in the snow covered Auvergne in France, they visited Vichy ... could have worked as a Christmas special. It just a nice pleasant diverting way to spend an hour.
Games of Thrones, The Wire at al are brilliant, but I couldn't watch such shows all the time :)

So here's a shout out to those types of series, yes a lot of the output if mediocre, filling the hours, but every now and then it comes nicely together in an episode. I'm thinking of Michael Portillo on the trains, Rick Stein, the Hairy Bikers (RIP Dave), James Martin, Michel Roux and before that the late great Keith Floyd. Even Gordon Ramsay can be fun, when he is on his travels and not exasperated and steaming at incompetent restaurant staff.
Yes, all of the above and more.

Back