Fallout ... RTE docudrama last night

Henny Penny

Did anyone else watch this? I thought it was very good. It showed the very human side of a disaster ... how lack of information causes the most harm ... in particular the looters who did not realise the consequences of their actions. It made me think, what would I do in such a situation? Would I know what to do ... or how to help?
Any thoughts?

I thought it was very well done. The absence of 'the usual suspect' faces (those fair city/glenroe/the snapper staffers) gave it a real sense of realism for me.

did nothing for me. maybe just as well. Dundalk and all that.

cuchulainn said:
did nothing for me. maybe just as well. Dundalk and all that.
Can you clarify that comment? Do you mean that you live in Dundalk or that you don't care what happens to the place?

Main thing it showed up for me was the bad road system comming out of dublin. Also when disaster strikes what do irish people do -- HIDE IN A PUB FOR SAFETY !!

That was gas. You see everyone piling out of work to get home and then when you see people in the pub it's all "Oh we're going to stay here. Been told to stay in doors".

I thought Sunday nights programme was very good. It gave us an idea of the level of panic that could overtake our society very quickly. All of a sudden the city centre of dublin and the surrounding counties which most of us are spending a fortune to live in didn't look so great.

I thought the follow up last night was quite weak. While its important to recognise the longer term effects of such a disaster, the fact that it seemed to concentrate on a number of sad sub plots didn't really gel.

Having Dave McWilliams doing his party piece on the downfall in property prices actually grated. I'd imagine if such a scenario really occurred most people who owed the guts of €400K on a house they couldn't sell for €20K, where interest rates increased, and incomes fell, would hand the keys back to the bank and leave town.

Past30

I'm just amazed it's taken this long to produce a programme like this. As a student in the 80s we were concerned about Sellafield (Windscale as it then was). The Irish Sea was known to be the most radioactive sea in the world. I wonder if that's still true. Any swimmers know?

I had envisaged that the number of fatalities would be much higher (they depicted something like 52 or so) & that the fallout cloud would have spread futher than Leinster.

ninsaga

Its not the worst RTE drama I could name. I could name a lot

More than likely the fallout cloud would trash Glasgow Newcastle and Edinburgh so the Neds would come to Dublin where they felt 'safe' .

That would equally tank house prices so its a lose lose senario

Purple: Clue 1:user name Cuchulainn.(previously setanta) Clue 2: come on the town. anyway in such a clearout of Dublin both sides of the road would be used to evacuate. and there was no word at all on Newry etc. After Chernobyl sheep on the sperrins ( tyrone) and mournes ( down) were affected but oddly enough not sheep on the cooleys ( louth) or blue stacks? (donegal) obviously recognised the border .

Past30Now said:
I'd imagine if such a scenario really occurred most people who owed the guts of €400K on a house they couldn't sell for €20K, where interest rates increased, and incomes fell, would hand the keys back to the bank and leave town.
They'd want to be leaving the country and never coming back for this strategy to work. Wouldn't the mortgage providers in their new destination be likely to check their credit history back home?

2Pack said:
More than likely the fallout cloud would trash Glasgow Newcastle and Edinburgh so the Neds would come to Dublin where they felt 'safe' .

A friend of mine Watched the film The Day After Tomorrow (sudden climate change causes northern hemisphere to become uninhabitable due to arctic conditions) in New York with a largely Latino audience, who clapped and cheered when scenes of US citizens desperately tryiing to get into Mexico appeared onscreen......
How about the wind blows the other way, England is irradiated and the tide of emigation turns. Oh no, sure that's already happened even without nuclear accidents

I do not think it will happen so why upset some people just for ratings

dodo said:
I do not think it will happen so why upset some people just for ratings

Sellafield are not advertisers on RTÉ. The country is actually doomed because of our ultra primitive telecoms system but eircom vodafone and o2 are big advertisers and will not therefore get their own docusoap showing us all emigrating to knowledge based economies in droves ......after the property bubble bursts in 2008

Sellafield are a much MUCH easier target......I still stand over my opinion that the drama was quite OK by RTÉ standards as a drama .

59 nuclear power stations in France dont stop us a) going there b) buying property there c) eating and drinking French wine and food. So is it because BNFL don't run a good ship that the opponents of nuclear energy always seem to get plenty of airtime and supporters very little?

SPeak for yourself. I've avoided French wine and avoided France as a holiday destination since they did their nuclear testing in the South Pacific - way back in the 90's I think.

earlier Rainday: they exploded atomic bombs on Bikini Atholl in the 50' n 60's
but thats not nuclear energy. if there were no nuclear power stations at all, what would the price of oil be? by the way I am not 100% nuclear power, just open to a fair discussion on the matter. Don't like this closed mind set idea. not altogetHer in favour of the favourite Irish solution to everything either ie NINBY. Might be rite about the french wine though. think I am going to pay for tonight , tomorrow. cheers

RainyDay said:
SPeak for yourself. I've avoided French wine and avoided France as a holiday destination since they did their nuclear testing in the South Pacific - way back in the 90's I think.

as if all French wine producers & holiday makers supported their government on the matter and were all in favour of nuclear testing !!!