Fairy lights and cheap homewares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Po' Boy

This is probably a very stupid question, but I have some outdoor fairy lights that I'd like to hang on the inside of my concrete balcony - any ideas on how to stick them there?? They're too heavy for blue tack and I can't use a staple gun on concrete.

The other thing is - where's the best place to get homewares - not major items but small decorative things like vases and candle holders etc. I don't want to spend millions on it but at the same time I don't want the standard Dunnes stuff that everyone has.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Cable ties?

Arnott's Bargain Stores in the basement of their Henry Street shop and on Middle Abbey Street have great value in homewares. The new Dunnes Stores place on South Great George's Street has some nice stuff too. Like Habitat but with affordable prices.

Actually it does and they have great things. Thanks guys (and sorry about the fairy lights question I'm very thick when it comes to basic DIY stuff)

You could glue the lights in place with a dab of DAP or Evode Panel adhesive- the only problem is the adhesive is pretty much a permanent fix.

If there's nothing to affix the lights to using cable ties then you could screw some suitable eyelets or hooks in to facilitate this. But if you're not into DIY you'll probably need to get somebody to do this for you.

You could try using "cup hooks" - not the screw in type. They are a "glue on" type with a flat back. There is already adhesive on them but you might like to re-inforce the adhesive strength with some stronger glue. Just space them out and hand the fairy lights. I use this method to hang fairy lights in my conservatory where I don't like to use a drill. Cheers

jonnyhotspur said:
I think sky hooks would be easiest to install if you were not good at DIY;)
Skyhooks or structural paint are pretty good for this, they come in packets of 5, they're usually over by the skirting board ladders....

jaybird said:
Home store and more has great value homewares, Airside Retail park Swords, I think theres one on the Southside too, maybe Tallaght?

In Belgard Retail Park by B&Q.

Maybe the term "Skyhook" is a uniquely Irish term....All I know is when in doubt use a sky hook!

ClubMan said:
But what are they? I tried Google to no avail.

Me neither. Never heard the term before. Do you mean something like cup hooks?

Would a dab of that stuff No more nails hold the lights in place and be useful for future use.

Carpenter said:
Maybe the term "Skyhook" is a uniquely Irish term....All I know is when in doubt use a sky hook!
Third time lucky - what exactly are they?

Po' Boy said:
The other thing is - where's the best place to get homewares - not major items but small decorative things like vases and candle holders etc. I don't want to spend millions on it but at the same time I don't want the standard Dunnes stuff that everyone has.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Spoils in Jervis Street - cheap basics

Marks and Spencers have nice homeware and there is a basic range that is quite reasonably priced.

Go on someone put them out of their misery.......

I haven't heard of sky hooks since I was sent for a long stand as an apprentice!

Clubman you'd have to see them...are you near a Homebase, B&Q or Woddies etc..... pop in there & ask...they get people looking for these all the time.

If I had one I'd PM you a photo!

ninsaga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back