Fair play to Aer Lingus

And if Aer Lingus can't cope with the above without cancelling 20% of flights, aer lingus have an issue with staffing levels.
Is it not a situation of pilots who are normally very happy to take on extra flights for significantly enhanced pay during the busy periods? It's simply not viable for Aer Lingus or the other airlines to hire hundreds of qualified pilots to cover the busy summer period when flight volumes are more than 7 times the average.

There's a very good reason the pilots planned the work to rule for this period.

There's a very good reason the pilots planned the work to rule for this period.

And there was I thinking that it was because they prefer to picket and perform their ludicrous imitation Orange Parade march around the airport in summer weather! (Although they looked like drowned rats last Saturday!)

Last edited:
It's simply not viable for Aer Lingus or the other airlines to hire hundreds of qualified pilots to cover the busy summer period when flight volumes are more than 7 times the average.

I don't believe the "7 times the average" claim for a minute. Even without checking the data, if the summer period equals two or more months, it's a mathematical impossibility!

I don't believe the "7 times the average" claim for a minute. Even without checking the data, if the summer period equals two or more months, it's a mathematical impossibility!
Actually you're right I was looking at the wrong data, July & August have a 40-50% increase over the winter schedules.

Back