Fair Deal/Nursing Homes Fair Deal - Relevant Accountable Person

AlbacoreA

On the Fair deal scheme on the acknowledgement and consent form, its asks for the "Relevant Accountable Person"

Who should this be where there are large number of children. Just one of them just have to man up and take responsibility for all costs. Or should it be the person applying for the fair deal, since its their estate that will ultimately pay for it.

The person who is responsible for repayment of the nursing home loan to the Revenue Commissioners is called the relevant accountable person. The relevant accountable person may be a different person to the applicant, depending on the circumstances as set out in the following examples:

Example 1: Where you transfer or sell part or all of your property, during your lifetime, you and your spouse/partner will be the relevant accountable persons.

Example 2: Where the loan is repayable after the applicant’s death the personal representative of the deceased is the relevant accountable person. A person who inherits or has an interest in the property or any part of it can also be held accountable for repayment of the loan.

When the nursing home loan falls due for repayment, the HSE writes to the relevant accountable person.

On the Fair deal scheme on the acknowledgement and consent form, its asks for the "Relevant Accountable Person"

Who should this be where there are large number of children. Just one of them just have to man up and take responsibility for all costs. Or should it be the person applying for the fair deal, since its their estate that will ultimately pay for it.
My understanding is the person applying for Fair Deal or their spouse can only be the relevant accountable person while they are alive. When they die the personal representative of the deceased who I assume is their executor/s becomes the relevant accountable person.

I had no issue as an executor being named on the Fair Deal application as the relevant accountable person, as it would be me or a solicitor appointed by me who would be paying the HSE from the proceeds of the estate anyway.

Thanks for this.

Will you know who the executor is before someone passes away though. Likewise you won't know who inherits anything as you may not have access to the will etc. If the person is still alive. I assume no one will be filling this in unless the person is still alive, as if they have passed they won't be looking for FairDeal in the first place. I'm thinking this would have to the person applying for the fairdeal unless they are unable to manage their own affairs. In which case it would be their legal representative, or whoever has power of attorney.

It seems to infer ownership of the debt is whomever signs it.

Will you know who the executor is before someone passes away though.
Many might not but I knew long before the person passed away that I was their executor.
Likewise you won't know who inherits anything as you may not have access to the will etc.
Again many might not know but I knew exactly who was to get whatever as I was given copies of the original will.
I'm thinking this would have to the person applying for the fairdeal unless they are unable to manage their own affairs. In which case it would be their legal representative, or whoever has power of attorney.
Or their executor who will be paying the bill from the estate when the time comes.
It seems to infer ownership of the debt is whomever signs it.
I did not sign anything, nor does the form ask the relevant accountable person to sign anything. It just asks who the person is so revenue can contact that person about repayment of the loan when it becomes due, but the debt was never mine.

Back