Fair Deal/Nursing Homes Fair Deal. Beginners guide needed

Currently trying to organise insurance for an unoccupied house, we've been told the insurance co. can't talk to us as we're not the home owner (owner is in a NH and has dementia). Enduring power of attorney for owner is taking some time, was started in sept 2023 and is still 'before the courts' (was executed 2.5 yrs ago).. not sure where to go now? A letter from solicitor saying it's pending? Any ideas?

Re live in care, we got an estimate from an agency of €568 per week. That was a lot less than we expected. We aren’t at that stage yet but it was good to see the rates. Much more affordable than a nursing home. This includes prsi etc and you have to provide their food.

“For €568 per week, the Carer Plus works 5 days per week, 7 hours per day and sleeps in up to 7 nights per week as a passive presence in your relative's home.

The carer can break her/his working day into blocks of time such as 2 hours in the morning, 2 hours in the afternoon and 3 hours in the evening.

The Carer Plus carer's duties include house-keeping, meal preparation, companionship, personal care and medication supervision, if required.”

Re empty house if you have a solicitor working on the EPA can they write to the insurance company explaining the situation.

I can see the insurance company’s problem but they need a practical solution. The solicitor could ask them that. This can’t be their first rodeo!

In the meantime can someone stay over the odd night? Make a phone call or two to provide evidence of occupancy…

I assume you’ve got keys, so basic stuff like switching off water to protect the house has already been done, not a good idea if you want someone to stay there of course.

Re empty house if you have a solicitor working on the EPA can they write to the insurance company explaining the situation.

I can see the insurance company’s problem but they need a practical solution. The solicitor could ask them that. This can’t be their first rodeo!

In the meantime can someone stay over the odd night? Make a phone call or two to provide evidence of occupancy…

I assume you’ve got keys, so basic stuff like switching off water to protect the house has already been done, not a good idea if you want someone to stay there of course.
Yes, we are in the property regularly. I think I'll ask solr to write a doc saying the EPOA is pending... hopefully that will suffice. Thanks.

Back