Health Insurance Fair deal 2nd parent

Babystepsfan

I’ve been asked a question on fair deal and I can’t find any easy answer without contacting HSE directly.
An elderly parent is in their 2nd year of nursing home care, the family availed of fair deal to pay etc. The second parent is still in the family home and while not in bad health will need increased future care.
What are the options regarding selling the family home to fund a purchase of a smaller home closer to other family for the remaining parent ? I understand that even after the 3 year cap all cash assets become liable for annual % deduction to the HSE.
Does the new home become PPR instead ? What if a home isn't purchased but a granny flat on an off spring’s property instead ? Can the proceeds be used for this ? If so what happens in the future if that person needs nursing home care.
Ideally the house could be sold and the 3 year fair deal element paid with the remainder used to fund a new house /dwelling.
Or is none of the above now possible and the only option nursing home care for the remaining parent.

Back