Extractor fan in the kitchen

Hi Shoegal, please . Have you already bought the extractor? If so, check the supplied instructions, alternatively the manufacturer's website may have details. You'll probably want to place this near ceiling level, as this is where the steam levels will be the worst when cooking.
Leo

Morpheus, difficult one. The cheaper B&D detectors are unlikely to find anything more than a few mil deep in the wall, you're going to need something like these two Bosch scanners to do that. That second one costs about 1k, so a little out of most DIYers' budgets!!!

Electrical cables should really only be run vertically in walls, so be wary if you need to drill above of below switches, sockets, etc.

Is it not feasible to put a hood over the hob and run ducting to the external wall? It's not likely that there are pipes burried in the wall unless the boiler is located near by, and even then, it's still unlikely on the back wall of a terrace.

From a safety point of view though, cut the power and take your time.
Leo

im confused, i want to get a over hob extractor unit and run the pipe to the exterior wall... isnt that what you are talking about? What do you mean by a hood? it sounds like the same thing to me.

Hi Morpheus, yes, these are also called hoods. Confusing myself with all the open questions...that was directed at Shoegal who said she couldn't install one directly above the hob.

Hello, we are building at the moment and want to have the cooker and extractror on an inside wall.. It is 16 feet to the ouside wall ..... does anybody know if this is too far a draw for an extractor fan.... or is there a make of extractor fan to do this length.. I hear the charcoal extractor fans are not much good... moving the cooker is not an option..

Back