Case study Ex declares bankruptcy in UK, what can I do with unsustainable mortgage?

I hope your ex will honour the court honour ,not because of the court order per se, but because he's the dad. Otherwise, if he has no sense of responsibility, is it possible that as a bankrupt in U.K. he can't be forced to pay this ?

In the meantime in U.K. courts have been issued with new guidelines about Irish so-called bankrupts. one of the guidelines is that the court muct be satisfied that the perspn doesn't intend to immediately return to Ireland with the bankruptcy documents in his hands, earn loads of money whilst sticking two fingers up to his creditors.

Like old-nick and other posters, I find the behaviour of your ex quite disturbing. Once he is declared bankrupt, you cannot rely on him to continue to pay maintenance to you. His whole motivation seems to be to avoid his responsibilities and I would be amazed if he treats you any differently.

While no expert here, I think you have no alternative but to oppose his bankruptcy petition on the grounds that his financial position is not as bad as he is pointing out, and that you fear his motives are not to make a clean start from hopeless debt, but rather to avoid paying creditors and you maintenance. ( throw in the court order)

It also needs to be asked what grounds he applied for a career break and what it was granted for? Do his employers know that his motivation for a career break was to move to the uk to declare bankruptcy? Is he a civil servant? There may be conduct rules he is bound by even while on a career break. Breaking a court order my be regarded as mis conduct.

If he was declared bankrupt you may be able to make enough noise to ensure that he does not have an 80k job to return to. Touché!

In the meantime in U.K. courts have been issued with new guidelines about Irish so-called bankrupts. one of the guidelines is that the court muct be satisfied that the perspn doesn't intend to immediately return to Ireland with the bankruptcy documents in his hands, earn loads of money whilst sticking two fingers up to his creditors.

Where did you find this information? Do you have a link?

move to Uk

Why don't you go to the UK and declare yourself bankrupt then you are free from the pressure and your dept's,you deserve to be free of all this hassel

Back