EU261 Refund Ryanair

Bronte

Here is my step by step. Flight was delayed by more than 3 hours in July.

Ryanair, Refunds, Tale am Action (not Refunds) Yes Make a Claim. Pick EU261.

Then Choose: Compensation Only . Here is a copy from their website:

EU261 claim form

EU261 Disruption Compensation and Expense claim form

1Claim details
2Booking information
3Disrupted flight details
4Claimant contact details
5Payment details

Compensation only Expenses only Type of claim *
Flight cancelled Flight delayed Reason for compensation *

Compensation claims will not be accepted for delays less than 3 hours (on arrival). If your flight has been cancelled or delayed 3 hours or more (on arrival) and is caused by a reason within the control of Ryanair, you may be entitled to compensation, click here. Expenses claims will not be accepted for delays less than 2 hours.

Last edited:
Step 2.

Email address and booking reference required. Validate.

Both the outward and inward flights come up. I click Outward. I select the 2 passengers names which are correct. I click family Booking. Validate.

And then I get this message:

Invalid booking details
Dear Customer, it appears that your flight has not been disrupted. If your flight was disrupted less than 24 hours ago, please try again later. Alternatively, if you still believe your flight suffered a delay, please click here to contact our customer services department. We remind you that Ryanair.com is the only website authorised to sell Ryanair flights: if you have made your Ryanair booking with an unauthorised third-party please click here to submit your application

Okay, got it

Last edited:
Step 4

I click on home page link.

And get a load of options, hit refunds and I'm back to square one.

Step 5

No point going and doing the same thing again, so I go to complaints for this:

Make a complaint, other requests, and click to these options

Submit a request

Contact Reason After you Fly
After you Fly Claims
Claims EU261 Entitlement

EU261 Entitlement

Choose this option for information on EU261 Passenger Rights and Entitlements and the option to submit an EU261 Compensation or Expense Claim if applicable.
We have dedicated information on the topic that may help you in resolving your query, plea

Last edited:
So that led me nowhere as I cannot continue to make a complaint as it is directing me right back to the beginning. And there is no way forward.

So now I'll try Chat.

They directed me back to this:

Please fill this form with a statement that you can not fill the EU-261 form due to error and attach the screenshot.Please click the link https://help.ryanair.com/hc/en-sk/requests/newThen click - after you fly - complaints --then payment queryPlease write your query /claim in the description. The claiming team will answer you back through email according to your query. Please ensure that you have put the booking information and contact reason in the claim.

Last edited:
I phoned them up. And I've now sent in a customer complaint. Just have to wait 7 days. I believe the website is not working deliberately.

Same thing happened to me. Delayed 6 hours in July. Got the same message. Turns out that they’re blaming air traffic control so no obligation to pay. I don’t believe that as there was no problem with other flights from the airport (Pisa) including one flying to Cork.

If you can’t get satisfaction from the airline, the next step is to contact the regulator. If your flight was from Ireland or a non EU/EEA country, the appropriate body is the Irish Aviation Authority.

If your flight was from an EU/EEA country, you need to contact the regulator there. There’s a list of contact points available here. https://www.iaa.ie/consumer-protection/air-passenger-rights

After the compliant I received an email with a request for more details, the phone call had already told me I'd need print screen. So I replied with a - my issue
- a copy paste from their own website with the flight details
- a copy paste of their error message as per Step 2 above.

Yesterday my complaint was upheld and my bank details were requested. Which I've now sent them. (it was difficult on my new Bank of Ireland to find the BIC, (it's not on the online statements either) also for some weird reason the screen turns sideways for my account on an ipad)

After the compliant I received an email with a request for more details, the phone call had already told me I'd need print screen. So I replied with a - my issue
- a copy paste from their own website with the flight details
- a copy paste of their error message as per Step 2 above.

Yesterday my complaint was upheld and my bank details were requested. Which I've now sent them. (it was difficult on my new Bank of Ireland to find the BIC, (it's not on the online statements either) also for some weird reason the screen turns sideways for my account on an ipad)
Hi Bronte,

Did this work for you? I'm having the exact same problems as you have had.

Ryanair don’t need the BIC to make the payment, only the IBAN.

This is just another hurdle they put up.
In any case it's easy to find the BIC for a given IBAN:

In any case it's easy to find the BIC for a given IBAN:
It would be far easier if BofI had it on my statement or on my online account.

Hi Bronte,

Did this work for you? I'm having the exact same problems as you have had.
Yes as I said they told me I'd be paid. I am awaiting payment and will update here when I get it. On this thread as best I can I've given specific instructions on what you need to do to make the claim as it is clear Ryanain have designed their system so that you cannot make a claim.

I assume for the regulators they are making it look like they are complying with the law on this, but in reality making it difficult for customers to actually claim.

Dear Bronte

Thank you for your query.

I wish to confirm that a bank transfer for the sum of 500 EUR (equivalent to 250 EUR per passenger) has been authorised by Ryanair in full and final settlement of this claim under EU261 Regulation.

In order to process the payment, we require your bank details:

ACCOUNT HOLDER’S NAME:
BANK NAME:
SWIFT/BIC CODE:

IBAN NUMBER:

I attached a copy paste of my BofI account as I don't trust myself to write the numbers down correctly. Zero's and ones can cause problems as well.

Last edited:
It would be far easier if BofI had it on my statement or on my online account.
My PTSB online banking shows it.
I assumed that most or all banks showed both the IBAN and BIC on statements and online banking apps/websites.

It's an 'Irish' thing as I only encounter it for Ireland.
I’ve told Irish firms they don’t need a BIC and they look at me like I have two heads.

It’s like asking for someone’s mobile phone number and then insisting you need to know what network they are on too.

I don’t understand it whatsoever.

Hi Bronte

Well done on pursuing this. I've been through this sort of rigmarole with a number of businesses recently, the phone companies such as Vodafone and Eir are past masters at it. Your point that the process feels like it was designed to deliberately put you off and/or obstruct you sounds so familiar. You also start to question yourself variously feeling that you are wasting your time or being miserly and mendicant. I'm delighted that you persevered and won out.

I've looked at my online BOI statements, and the BIC is appearing in the top right hand corner, in a four line block with the telephone and fax numbers and the branch code. It's given its full title "Branch Identifier Code BOFIIE2D". It would make far more sense if they put it adjacent to the IBAN. Agree with @Dr Strangelove that it is totally unnecessary anyway.

Back