Estate has Insufficient Funds to Cover Funeral Expenses.

what was happening to her pension every week to only leave the small amount as mentioned?

Going to nursing home I'd imagine, 80% of weekly income goes to pay cost under Fair Deal plus whatever else is assessed. Doesn't leave much for saving especially if there are all these 'extras' we hear about in nursing homes that are not covered and must be paid for separately.

His pension was indeed going to the nursing home and also he was charged for "Extras not covered by the Fair Deal Scheme such as Chiropody, Physiotherapy, Incontinence Pads and Activities for the Patients.

he was charged for "Extras not covered by the Fair Deal Scheme such as Chiropody, Physiotherapy, Incontinence Pads and Activities.

Chiropody, physiotherapy or activities are not covered by Fair Deal.

If your relation had a medical card they should have been entitled to a chiropody card which subsidises a few visits a year, my relations only pay €15 for chiropody in their nursing homes.

Incontinence wear is provided free of charge by the HSE, to all Fair Deal residents who have a medical card.

Thanks for the replies Peanut 20, twofor1.

What I will do is make an appointment to see the solicitor and discuss the options with him.

I will update when I have a clearer picture from the solicitor seeing as he is still gathering information in relation to my late Uncles estate.

Is it not the case in this instance that the Fair Deal Scheme are entitled to € 14,625 i.e. € 65,000 x 22.5 % and therefore if the house makes the current market valuation € 45,000 this will leave € 45,000 less € 14,625 = € 30,375.00 to pay the funeral expenses, solicitor fees and auctioneer fees etc?

There is mention of Nursing Home Shortfall but if his/her entire pension was paid to the nursing home, the 20% on top of the 80% Fair Deal amount should cover these extras not covered by Fair Deal Scheme. Or maybe I am underestimating these amounts? I would be looking for a detailed account from the Nursing Home if they are claiming some shortfall. As has already being mentioned I think the funeral expenses are given some priority over other debts if there are any.

I hope you get it all sorted out.

Tenente,
The Nursing home shortfall relates to the Fair Deal Scheme & the value of his contribution was assessed on an annual basis by the HSE. This contribution was variable according to his means. On enteringthe nursing home home he signed a standing order in favour of the Nursing Home for €975 per month. This amount either increased or decreased according to his means. Mostly his contribution was increased. He should then have signed a new standing order form at his bank for the new amount ,but due to his Dementia he was unable to do so. The €975 standing order kept going in to the Nursing home but the shortfall he still owed was debited to his account.

Back