ESB - all appliances off, meter still turning?

Mel

I carried out this experiment a few months ago, but the earth hour on saturday reminded me that I never followed it up.

I switched off every light, appliance and socket in the house - everything - in an attempt to see what the biggest draw on esb might be.
When everything was off, the meter was still revolving - slowly admittedly, but electricity was still being drawn from somewhere...

I'm stumped as to what it might be, any ideas?
One theory is water being pumped to the attic, I grew up in a house with a private water supply and we were always beign warned by our parents about using too much water and causing the pump to run - is there something similar in a townhouse with public supply?

Try turning off the fuses one by one to narrow down which circuit is using the power.

I don't have wired alarm or smoke detector, I think I turned off the central heating timer, but I'll check again.
How do I turn off the fuses? Just flip down the switches on the board?

I don't have wired alarm or smoke detector, I think I turned off the central heating timer, but I'll check again.
How do I turn off the fuses? Just flip down the switches on the board?

Yes.

Freezer!!!! don't forget to switch it back on!

all standby switches - microwave clock, hi-fi,

outdoor security lights

You would probably need to unplug every single thing rather than just switching it off - I think a tiny amount of power still gets drawn if there is a plug in the socket.

One thing a lot of people forget is the hall door bell transformer.

The best thing to do is remove/switch the main fuse (normally 63A) at the board and then see if the meter wheel is still revolving.

The best thing to do is remove/switch the main fuse (normally 63A) at the board and then see if the meter wheel is still revolving.
that will certainly do it - but check if there's an esb seal on it, breaking the seal might not be the best idea.
There should be one main fuse or switch inside the house that shuts off everything.

that will certainly do it - but check if there's an esb seal on it, breaking the seal might not be the best idea.
There should be one main fuse or switch inside the house that shuts off everything.

There should never be a seal on a fuse!!!

Under no circumstances should you interfere with the ESB main fuse. Do not break the seal, do not remove it.

Regards,

Fnergg

I read an article recently that said if you switch off things plugged into an extension lead, there will still be a small power usage into the extension lead, unless you actually plug the extension lead out

I read an article recently that said if you switch off things plugged into an extension lead, there will still be a small power usage into the extension lead, unless you actually plug the extension lead out
yes in theory there will be a small current drain in the lead due to capitance but it won't register on your meter.
however some devices are not really off when "off" e.g. a pc can still use a small amount of power after it's shutdown.

Thanks for all the tips - I'll try again over the weekend.
I don't have a lot of the fancy schmancy electronics listed, :) and I plugged out/ switched of sockets for those that I do have, so will try again by unplugging completely. I do usually leave laptop on drip charge.
I don't have loads of sockets so I have a few extension cables around and that might explain it.

If you are interested you could get an electricity monitor, we got an [broken link removed]
and it is really interesting to see how much things cost to run.

I found thinks like ....I have 2 different light fittings in the kitchen and one costs way more to run than the other. Also we were using a lamp for lighting the living room but now realised it costs about 10c an hour to run so we now use the main light which is way cheaper.

It is wireless but you need to be able to attach it to the wire near the fuse box, the rule of thumb is that if you can fit you finger around the wire you can fit the sensor around it.

If you are going to buy it shop around especailly UK websites as prices vary a lot.

Back