Equality: Circuit Family Court- Judges almost all female?

Tom2020

Hi,
Unfortunately I find myself in a Judicial Separation process in the Family Circuit Court in Dublin.
We have had a number of postponements, due to a variety of factors, as I lost my job during the process.
I cant help noticing that all the judges without exception I’ve seen now, on 5 occasions have all been female.

From the literature I’ve also read in the area apparently over 85% of Applicants to the family courts are also female.
In this day and age are the Courts not like most areas of employment, obliged under legislation to appoint around 50/50 male/female Judges for judicial equality?..

Particular in the context there are often contentious female/male type issues that come up in family law.

Also if most of the Applicants are female, you can imagine why the importance of equality in this area for men too is a concern to me an many others Ive canvassed.

What is the understanding out there on the Judge appointments, as the whole process seems very opaque?..
Are they not obliged to have equal representation of judges 50:50 male/female?..

Regards
Tom

I know the point you are making, to be honest I would take my chances with a female judge I get the feeling things are fairer now than in the past, ,

From

Gender within the Irish judiciary
At present 27.4% of Irish judges are female. In the District Court, almost 30% or 19 out of 64 are female. The Circuit Court has 37% female representation. In the High Court, women constitute 17% of the judges, and in the Supreme Court the figure is 12.5%

mf

There are no specific male / female issues in regards to family law.

The judiciary does not concern itself with the provision of health care, washing facilities or personal hygiene in respect of the adults.

What is of primary concern however is the welfare of any children of the marriage/partnership.

Are they not obliged to have equal representation of judges 50:50 male/female?
Would be only too delighted to see this - clearly we have nowhere near an equal representation.

Back