Energy Prices: Where is it all going to end?

Re: where is it all going to end?

I'll believe it when I see it - none of these predictions EVER come true - there always unexpected consequences or not all relevant variables factored in etc.

You cannot blame companies like the ESB, Bord Gais and VHI etc for chancing their arms asking for a increase because every time the ask for one and a stupid percentage they get the aproval. Surely the Finanical regulator should be trying to control the percentage of increases and try to look after the people of ireland. Sure look at the profits of these companies and the clauses in their contracts like VHI you pay into it for years and then you find out it does not cover this and that etc so what exactly is peoples money going on.

Rip off ireland alright.

I like the way Cuchulainn is doing something about his costs. I have managed to cut back on my food and travel costs by careful shopping and usage. I know that the light left on in the hall while the adult children are out 'till the early hours will no longer be left on. Radiators will be used only when necessary. The Stanley in my kitchen will have the oven "full", not just with one chicken and the hob space will be used at the same time for casseroles etc. I don't intend to become a miserable git in the process but rather see the various price increases as a challenge to overcome.
One thing is certain. If this were France we would all be out on the streets making our voices heard.

Re: where is it all going to end??????

But why then are retailers and restaurants in Ireland telling us that they're keeping having to increase their prices because of the increases in prices for the items their buying to sell on to us?
Because they are labour intensive and usually don’t have the resources to invest in new technologies. They are also not competing internationally so prices are set by domestic factors only. In fairness to them most of their costs are external and they have very little control over them.

They're telling us they're having to increase their costs because they're margins are being squeezed. But you're telling us you're not increasing prices. Are these people lying to us about why their increasing prices?
We cannot increase our prices or we will go out of business. We invest in new technology and keep our company lean. We also have a non-unionised workforce (who get paid a lot more than the average ESB worker) who are flexible and skilled and embrace change and up-skilling as part of their every day lives.
If the ESB did nay of these things well we would not have to fork out so much money for our electricity.

A little bird tells me there'll be Irish natural gas flowing in to New Ross before too long.

from where? are there gas rigs of the waterford /Wexford coast? agree with Grizzly too about radiators being on that theres no need for. on any given day during the winter most bedroom rads are on when theres no on in them.

Anyone notice the price of petrol falling over the last few days ? We can expect the price of gas and electricity to fall as well .... NOT :rolleyes:

Back