Energy Price Rises

DaveEy

I am about to sign up to a 12 month contract with Electric Ireland for gas and electricity. They are offering €200 cash back and when included, this brings the best value based on my usage.

They are promising to keep the pricing unchanged until March. Does that mean that is they increase the price that I can move without paying the €50 change fee?

sahd

Frequent Poster
It is a variable price contract - so they will charge you an exit fee . I am sure it is €50 per fuel - so it would be €100 for dual fuel.
Are you sure they are the cheapest? Energia just announced new deals for switchers - and for average usage it works out cheaper than Electric Ireland . If Electric Ireland are increasing prices - then Energia will work out even better. This Energia deal doesn't seem to be on Bonkers or Switcher - but I saw it here .
Even with the €100 exit fee from Electric Ireland - you could still switch to Energia after you get the €200 cashback in your first bill .

iamaspinner

Frequent Poster
Just remember that when you switch from them again after the 12 months they will try to (wrongly) charge you the exit fee in your closing bill. It seems to be an ongoing issue by the looks of their customer channel on Boards.ie.

DaveEy

Thanks Sahd, so could they then theoretically double the price? It seems mad. In telecoms if the price is changed during the term all bets are off.

I’m with energia so I can’t avail of their offer.

sahd

Frequent Poster
Thanks Sahd, so could they then theoretically double the price? It seems mad. In telecoms if the price is changed during the term all bets are off.

I’m with energia so I can’t avail of their offer.
Why not do what I suggested ? Go with Electric Ireland , wait for the €200 cashback. Leave and pay back €100 and then go back to Energia. (Check with Energia first that they will give you the promotional deal if you only left them for 3 or 4 months.)

sahd

Frequent Poster
Following up on my suggestion - I asked Energia via their online chat if someone could leave them and come back in 3 months and still get the new customer discounst and cashback. They said yes . There is nothing I can see in their T&Cs to say it can't be done.
(Unlike Electric Ireland who specify that a new customer is classed as someone who has not been a customer in the past 12 months)