Energy price increases - why has the standing charge increased so much?

Sorry, what's the point the that - surely they are aware of their responsabilities ?

No, current new homes are exceptionally warm along with homes that have upgraded.

I've gone from using almost 2,000l of kerosene to just over 1000 by upgrading insulation and modern boiler with zones

A window upgrade this summer should see my use drop further.
I have done similarly over the last 10-15 years and have seen a similar kerosene reduction to yourself. Only recently I noticed that while my windows are double-glazed PvC my patio door is aluminium (why did the builders do something stupid like that). I am replacing the patio door this summer for a PvC one and have been told I can expect a much warmer kitchen as a result. Of course I will not get a SEAI grant for it (they're more like the anti-grant authority) as I have failed twice with them now.

I still think these smaller incremental jobs are worth doing instead of this €40-50k retrofit schemes. Instance, I replaced ordinary old front and back doors over 10 years ago with 3" solid wood insulated doors. That made a big difference.

Ok, I am off-topic as I do not have a clue why standing charges have to increase in parallel with fuel prices. It is conflating two completely different sets of price drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it was a rhetorical question (!), and besides, standards were much lower back in 2000 when my house was built. Still, the point I was making notwithstanding it was off-topic was that there are a lot of low hanging fruit measures that can significantly increase your house heat-retention values

Well, it was a rhetorical question (!), and besides, standards were much lower back in 2000 when my house was built. Still, the point I was making notwithstanding it was off-topic was that there are a lot of low hanging fruit measures that can significantly increase your house heat-retention values
There are many " low hanging measures " but the Government, Country Councils won't help in rectifying these, you must spend 20, 30.....k and essentially use a monopoly to do the improvements.

Sorry, what's the point the that - surely they are aware of their responsabilities ?
Presumably they would have approved the standing charge increase and may be able to answer your question i.e. why has the standing charge increased?

I know why the standing charge increased, but I would like Bord Gáis to come into the open and say so

The utility companies have huge discounts to entice new customers.
However,the discounts only apply to the unit rate and not the standing charge.

I know why the standing charge increased, but I would like Bord Gáis to come into the open and say so
Maybe it wasn't Bord Gáis that made the case to the regulator. It could have been Gas Networks Ireland.

In any event, the regulator would have to explain the reasoning behind the increases approval.

Maybe it wasn't Bord Gáis that made the case to the regulator. It could have been Gas Networks Ireland.
Suppliers are free to set their own standing charges, the regulator has a role in setting the costs of some of the elements included in that charge.

Electric Ireland are increasing gas by over 29% and just shy of 11% for electricity.

I spent 3 hrs evaluating each provider this morning and decided to go with them, have 14days cooling off but if they are increasing its only a matter of time before the rest follow.

Electric Ireland are increasing gas by over 29% and just shy of 11% for electricity.

I spent 3 hrs evaluating each provider this morning and decided to go with them, have 14days cooling off but if they are increasing its only a matter of time before the rest follow.
3 hours......oh god. If you go onto Bonkers.ie you will have the best provider in a minute or two

3 hours......oh god. If you go onto Bonkers.ie you will have the best provider in a minute or two
Nah I've been doing this for over 30years my way, as I will also look at what the future markets are saying too, but they are as volatile as the trading prices nowadays.

Nah I've been doing this for over 30years my way, as I will also look at what the future markets are saying too, but they are as volatile as the trading prices nowadays.
in case you weren't aware of it. You put in your rate and consumption amount, gives you all the information in seconds.

in terms of the savings, spending 3 hours a year for 30 years, I could think of more productive ways to spend my time lol each to their own mind.

in case you weren't aware of it. You put in your rate and consumption amount, gives you all the information in seconds.

in terms of the savings, spending 3 hours a year for 30 years, I could think of more productive ways to spend my time lol each to their own mind.

If you can't lock in to a fixed price contract nowadays for the likes of electricity through Bonkers.ie it is of of limited use.

Bonkers.ie will show you the best value today, which might not be the case next month with your chosen supplier if your contract price is variable.

in terms of the savings, spending 3 hours a year for 30 years, I could think of more productive ways to spend my time lol each to their own .
Well bonkers wasn't around for 30 years, and neither were multiple suppliers, and it keeps me on top of our money from a budgeting perspective.
Additionally I review usage by units and see if we increased or decreased, add in ensuring I have all relevant bills for tax purposes adds to the time.

I never said it took me 3hrs over 30years either

Last edited:
this standing charge is a real bugbear of mine, surely if its for costs towards network infrastructure it should be fixed and the same across all providers!, Surely then any increase would have to be agreed by the regulator us as consumers then only have to worry about units costs, not the standing charge changing at will and at the discretion is seems of the provider, I was recently quoted for a business 1.48 per day standing charge

Just received an electricity bill from Electric Ireland for a vacant property which is currently under sale. I was shocked that the total cost was €78.94.
Only €5.96 was for electricity usage. The rest was €57.86 standing charge, €8,60 PSO levy and €6.52 VAT.

One would feel sorry for poor/vulnerable people, trying to cut down on electricity usage, only to be hit with a large bill for standing charges.

this standing charge is a real bugbear of mine, surely if its for costs towards network infrastructure it should be fixed and the same across all providers!,
The standing charge also includes the supplier costs for billing, etc..

I replied back to Bord Gáis saying that they had not replied to my question on standing charges and they replied again, basically saying the same thing.

There is no justification at all for standing charges being increased by the amounts they have.

They have increased the standing charges to recover over and above the cost of the network so that the surplus can be used to keep unit charges lower than they otherwise would be.

So this is a subsidy from low usage customers to high usage customers who are the ones benefitting from the lower unit cost at the expense of the low usage customers.
I'd imagine if you brought this to the attention of CRU then you may get a more meaningful response from the Vendor.

Back