Energy price increases - why has the standing charge increased so much?

The standing charge also includes the supplier costs for billing, etc..
I must start including a stading charge to bill my customers for my overheads, this is all the more reason it should be a fixed amount! your operating costs should be coming from your turnover and sale price surely?

I must start including a stading charge to bill my customers for my overheads, this is all the more reason it should be a fixed amount! your operating costs should be coming from your turnover and sale price surely?
If you're in a sector where you have large numbers of customers to whom you owe service obligations yet who consume little or none of your product, then a standing charge should be a more efficient manner of getting a contribution from them than the alternative of hiking up product prices and disproportionately hurting higher-volume customers.

Last edited:
Just received an electricity bill from Electric Ireland for a vacant property which is currently under sale. I was shocked that the total cost was €78.94.
Only €5.96 was for electricity usage. The rest was €57.86 standing charge, €8,60 PSO levy and €6.52 VAT.

The PSO levy has been set (by the CRU) at €0 since 1 October. It's actually become a credit but the CRU is still working out how to apply it.

Back