Employer Scheme and PRSAs

C

cl

I would appreciate answers to this question - I currently have a PRSA and am looking at moving job to a company with a defined contribution scheme where the employer will match my contributions. They have an inhouse pension plan. Rather than putting the combined contributions into this can I direct them to make the combined contribution into my PRSA instead? I like my PRSA and the ease at which I can switch funds and I would also like to have everything in the one place.

If the employer wont do this and I leave my employment after say 4 years - can I then transfer the value of my fund into my PRSA at that time?

Thanks in advance

Where an employer offers an occupational scheme to all employees then they are not obliged to faciliate contributions into a PRSA so it may be down to negotiation if this is your preferred approach and/or you think that it will offer you a better deal on charges, more flexibility etc. Note that with occupational schemes after two years service (or less if specified in the scheme rules) you qualify for preservation of benefits bought by both employer and emloyee contributions. In theory it is possible to transfer from an occupational fund into a PRSA (and vice versa?) - if you have something like 15 years or less membership but in practice I don't think that any pension providers are facilitating this.

Back