Employee called for jury service

JUst got the letter in the post that I have been called, there is no mention of caring for your kids being an excuse in the list of exceptions..
I am not exempt. Can I still apply to be excused?

Yes. You can apply to be excused from jury service even If you do not fall into any of the exempt categories. The relevant County Registrar will consider your request. They may excuse you if you show, to their satisfaction, that there is a good reason why you should be excused. Examples might include being self-employed, childcare, or medical reasons.

I think you can write in explaining that you have no childcare and it is acceptable.

I can see it’s an issue for some employers but it’s part and parcel of running a business same as sickness or other types of leave.

It used to be easy to get a letter from the boss, in fact I worked in places where there was a standard letter for it. That was a disgraceful practice IMO.

If we want a functional legal system we all have to chip in to the best of our ability. If it causes hardship then write in explaining that but don’t be surprised if you get pushback

Last edited:
As others have said, they are very reasonable. Ask to be excused and explain the situation. You will be excused. The last thing they want is to have jurors present who don't want to, or can't, be there. It risks a mis-trial. Worst case scenario is that you show up on the first day and ask in person to be excused.

You don't mention how old your children are.

My wife received a jury summons when 39 weeks pregnant some years ago. The summons related to a date about 3 to 4 weeks from then.

I drafted a short factual letter detailing how it would not be possible for her to answer the summons on that occasion. She signed it, I posted it and the letter excusing her was received within the week.

HI, my youngest is 11 and still in Primary school; I got called approx. 2 years ago and I seem to recall there was more explicit info on being pardoned due to childcare.
I'd imagine they are getting a lot more pushback from working parents like myself that are juggling kids with work. If I was still going into the office every day I would have to have more structured childcare for the kids - be hard for me to attend court for an unknown duration; not to mention that I am self-employed and wouldn't get paid!

I'm puzzled - why did the person to whom the summons was addressed not deal with it?
Not only 39 weeks pregnant, but also hospitalised.

Her husband, secretary and at that time general dogsbody did the necessaries and presented them for approval and signature. Like any sane man would I imagine .

I emailed them, stating that my youngest is 11 and still in Primary school, didn't mention being self-employed; got a mail back within a few days stating that I was excused; I didn't need to send any evidence. I seem to recall last time having to send in copies of the kids birth certs.

Back