Emergency Tax in First Month?

colly

I've just started a new job, and am supposed to have my P45 in by tomorrow. I don't want to do this I was to submit a tax clearance cert instead, but this will take a few days. As the cut off date for HR is tomorrow, will I get Emergency tax on my first pay cheque? I was told by a friend that the first pay cheque gets taxed normally, only after that does the high emergency tax rate kick in.

The way my job works I get a large 'training bonus' in the first month, but don't want to get taced on it at 42%/50%.
Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean about submitting a tax clearance cert instead of a P45 but if you call your local PAYE office, you will be able to advise them that you have changed employment & give them your new employer's name & PAYE number. Your new employer can then register you over the phone with revenue, who will more than likely give you month 1/temporary credits, which will be your normal tax credits for this payroll, you just won't get the benefit if you have not already used all your tax credits to date.

Back