Emerald Airlines compensation refused

WheresWally

Myself and my girlfriend were on a flight in December from Glasgow to Dublin that was 6 hours delayed. It was the weekend of the de-icing issues in Dublin Airport. Emerald Airlines/Aer Lingus have refused our claim for EU261 compensation as they say the circumstances were outside of their control. Is this correct or are the airlines responsible for de-icing? Should we try them again or go to the regulator?

Myself and my girlfriend were on a flight in December from Glasgow to Dublin that was 6 hours delayed. It was the weekend of the de-icing issues in Dublin Airport. Emerald Airlines/Aer Lingus have refused our claim for EU261 compensation as they say the circumstances were outside of their control. Is this correct or are the airlines responsible for de-icing? Should we try them again or go to the regulator?
Not saying it’s right, but an airline denied me a 261 claim recently on the basis that it was weather related and unsafe to fly. They still paid hotel, taxi, and meal expenses though.

Its weather related, but it is more that the equipment wasn't available to de-ice quickly. Could you have an angle there?

Thanks all. Will probably try the regulator and see what they say. Both airports were open and operational and delays were caused by a lack of de-icing equipment so I thought we'd have a case that way.

Back