Elegant old fashioned full length girls school uniforms in Limerick

Re: Weird old fashioned full length girls school uniforms in Limerick

I don't have that much patience with people who post meaningless thread titles at this stage...

I think you could have left out the last eight words :p

God be with the days of college in Cork when the local lassies could be seen wandering around the town in school mini-skirts.

No pervert jibes now, they used to be unavoiable in the city centre :D

Am I the only one who thinks that school uniforms are an outmoded concept? In this day and age, should a person of school going age not be allowed to wear what they like?
It all seems a bit 19th Century to me. It is one of the few things I admire about the American school system. The pupils are individuals and not clones that dress the same. To my mind, the school system in Ireland (or anywhere else for that matter) is designed or at least should be, to educate kids. Not regiment there lives, telling them what they can or cannot wear.
Outside of the whole school uniform debate (even if you believe uniforms are a necessary part of education) surely it is sexist to insist that girls have to wear skirts? What is wrong with girls wearing pants as part of the uniform?

Banker - I'd imagine it saves families a fortune. Ok the clothes themselves are probably not cheap but could you imagine the competition for designer labels if they were allowed??

Plus, a uniform saves hassle - suit & tie is perfect for me, if it was "casual" wear all the time I'd be trying to organise clothes on a daily basis, rather than just picking another shirt off the rack

What is wrong with girls wearing pants as part of the uniform?

They do in the Killaloe secondary school I think they have a choice of skirt or pants. I think uniforms are also a way of minimising the risk of bullying etc, things such as less fortunuate kids not having a vast array of casuals and the brand names etc, so I think uniforms do make a lot of sense even more so now in a time where keeping up the jones is a national past time.

God be with the days of college in Cork when the local lassies could be seen wandering around the town in school mini-skirts.
Am I imagining things, or are there other girls schools in Cork or Limerick with uniform skirts which are effectively mini-skirts, coming about 1/2 way up (or down, depending on your POV) the thighs?

Back