Electricity Provider (Yuno) not showing meter readings on bill

extopia

I've been with Yuno a few months now and noticed the bills don't contain any meter readings, just usage data.

Their website implies that the meter readings are supposed to be on the bill, but a representative said no when I called.

I know I can get the info from ESB and check against what I'm billed (and actual meter readings every so often), but I find this annoying.

Can any other Yuno customers confirm that this is indeed the provider's policy? I would have thought it was against good practice and possibly even the regulations.

Strange, that image doesn't seem to correlate to anything on their "about your bill" page. I'd contact them to query this.

Is there another page?
SSE showed the meter readings on a second page with info about how green the electricity was but not on the bill page.

Is there another page?
SSE showed the meter readings on a second page with info about how green the electricity was but not on the bill page.
There is a front page with account address details etc and payment details (basically the same as the second page) and a back page of terms and conditions.

I don't have a Yuno account but I have compared bills for Electric Ireland accounts, one with a functioning smart meter and one where readings are being done manually. The one with the manual readings shows previous and current readings and calculated usage. The other shows usage only.

This CRU page suggests that billing period start/end meter readings should (not sure if it's "must" though) appear on a bill:
On the other hand maybe it's different with an activated smart meter and a smart plan given that different unit rates apply for different times of the day?

I asked the CRU and they replied:
Thank you for contacting the Commission for Regulation of Utilities (CRU).

The meter reading is not a requirement on bills and as such a supplier is not obliged to show the meter reading on their bill.

If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us

Reactions: Leo
Pretty annoying that they are allowed to do this - you'd think the regulator would force them to be as transparent as possible.

The easiest way to verify that your bill is accurate is to correlate the actual meter reading with what's on your bill,

Pretty annoying that they are allowed to do this - you'd think the regulator would force them to be as transparent as possible.

The easiest way to verify that your bill is accurate is to correlate the actual meter reading with what's on your bill,
Yes - I was very surprised that meter readings weren't a mandatory item on bills.

I just switched to Electric Ireland on smart meter tariff and noticed the same thing on my first bill i.e no meter reading which is annoying. Anyway need to contact them about this as it also says two days were estimated which makes no sense either and doesn't say how much they estimated.

I just switched to Electric Ireland on smart meter tariff and noticed the same thing on my first bill i.e no meter reading which is annoying.
I wonder if it's an issue with smart plan bills that the meter readings aren't included? Maybe because, unlike 24 hour flat rate plans or nightsaver day/night plans, it isn't really possible to have a start and the meter reading for the billing period because of different time of day charging structures?
Anyway need to contact them about this as it also says two days were estimated which makes no sense either and doesn't say how much they estimated.
Smart meters can sometimes fail to connect upstream via 2G (I think?) in order to log readings and this can still result in estimated readings. E.g.:

The Regulator is fast asleep on the job and has been for years. "Smart meters" are flogged to death by the various suppliers as the best thing since sliced pan and the said supplier doesn't even show the most recent read information on the bill.

I wonder if it's an issue with smart plan bills that the meter readings aren't included? Maybe because, unlike 24 hour flat rate plans or nightsaver day/night plans, it isn't really possible to have a start and the meter reading for the billing period because of different time of day charging structures?
Perhaps ESB networks only forwards consumption data to the supplier rather than the actual meter readings. I've looked at the downloadable ESB Networks data and it doesn't seem to include the actual meters reading, just the actual usage in kWh at 30 minute intervals.

The Regulator is fast asleep on the job and has been for years. "Smart meters" are flogged to death by the various suppliers as the best thing since sliced pan and the said supplier doesn't even show the most recent read information on the bill.
Are you suggesting they changed the regulation since the introduction of smart meters? If you have a smart meter then any bill is always going to be out of date as you can review the data right up to present online.

I think this is the reason. I've 3 tariffs, peak, off-peak and night boost. I get the usage for each one. Getting the actual reading would mean having 3 starts and ends for each day, so approx 90 readings for a month. When the smart meter was configured as Day/Night, I had meter readings.

I think this is the reason. I've 3 tariffs, peak, off-peak and night boost. I get the usage for each one. Getting the actual reading would mean having 3 starts and ends for each day, so approx 90 readings for a month.
Yes, that's the sort of scenario that I was thinking of alright.
When the smart meter was configured as Day/Night, I had meter readings.
Yes, my smart meter is still in "legacy" MCC01 mode on a nightsaver day/night tariff and I still get the day/night meter readings on my bill for the start and end of the billing period.

Are you suggesting they changed the regulation since the introduction of smart meters? If you have a smart meter then any bill is always going to be out of date as you can review the data right up to present online.
If you only have a bog standard meter , Leo you can check your readings very simply any time by opening up the meter box door and actually reading what 's a fixed number(s) staring out at you whereas with the new smart meters it can be much more difficult to know what reading is which. It can be quite complicated for some people, which is very unfair.
Also , people who have just got a new smart meter , or even routinely like to check these things have nothing to compare with , if the readings are not shown on the bill. I'm not saying that they changed the regulations since the introduction of smart meters but I think its very convenient for suppliers now ,not to show the opening and closing readings. the regulator should have spotted that and warned suppliers on the consumer's behalf.Even in losstheplot' s example that's only 6 readings in total : absolutely no different to an old style night saver meter with day, night and wattless readings with reads at the start and end of each period.

Back