Electricity bill - Help to understand

waterman

Hello,

Can someone explain my latest electric bill! It is not making sense to me! I've took two screen grabs and attached as a pdf.

The first part states:
  • Charges this period 269.39
    • This is what I'm struggling with. How did they arrive at this number. I cannot work it out!
  • Discount 47.79
  • VAT 19.77
  • Total 239.37

Then the part with more detail page says:
  • Total charges 341.33
    • And there are a lot of numbers here that just do not make sense to me.
      • This is what I'm really struggling with. For example where did the 645 unit usage come from?
    • If I subtract the discount and government discount it does not match the Charges for this period (269.39) as shown on PG 1!
      • 341.33 - 47.79 - 137.62 = 155.92
    • NOTE: I did get a SMART meter installed during this period but I did not change my plan.
  • Your Saving 47.79
    • at least this matches above
  • VAT 32.15
    • I see if i subtract the Government discount VAT of 12.38 I get the same VAT as on PG1
  • Government discount 137.62 where does this come in to the equations?

This is honestly the first time I have not been able to make sense of a utility bill!

Thanks,

WM

Attachments

• 202405 bill.pdf
    103.7 KB · Views: 24
There are electricity charges (341.33) and standing charges (60.40 and 3.28) in all bills. You also have a day meter (645 and 40) and a night meter(32 and 511) which charge different rates per unit. The reason you have 2 unit readings on each is because your price changed mid-billing period. The reason there is a third reading in both is because your meter changed and started back at 0 for the smart meter. If you add all the figures from Total Electricity charges to second VAT you should get 239.37
At the top they just show total electric less gov credit, total Vat and total discount from below.

Btw, your previous bill was a whopper. Make sure and change your supplier to the best rate each year.

There are electricity charges (341.33) and standing charges (60.40 and 3.28) in all bills. You also have a day meter (645 and 40) and a night meter(32 and 511) which charge different rates per unit. The reason you have 2 unit readings on each is because your price changed mid-billing period. The reason there is a third reading in both is because your meter changed and started back at 0 for the smart meter. If you add all the figures from Total Electricity charges to second VAT you should get 239.37
At the top they just show total electric less gov credit, total Vat and total discount from below.

Btw, your previous bill was a whopper. Make sure and change your supplier to the best rate each year.
Thank you.

I see now how the "charges for this period" (267.39) came from, quite obvious when you see it!:
  • Total electricity charges (341.33) + Standing charges (3.28) + 2nd Standing charges (60.40) - Government Credit (137.62) = 267.39.

And I also see how the usage is totaled. The top 496 threw me.
  • 496 (old meter reading i assume) + 149 (new meter) = 645 day units on new rate
  • And the same for the night reading
    • 421 (old meter) + 120 (new meter) = 541 night units on new rate

As for my previous bill(s), they have never come back down since the Ukraine war started. We have a decent sized house, 6 occupants and only electricity for everything including a heat pump that runs most of winter and we like to cook everything. Pre the war a big bill for 2 months was around 300.

Thanks again,

WM

Who are charging you over a euro a day for standing charge ? Electric Ireland are giving discounted rate of 26 and 13 for day and night which even allowing for your 14% is still way better. Their Standing charge is under a euro a day also after vat. Could be worth checking out and making the sums if you have all your data at hand (it should be on the website which you login to) assuming you're in a current plan and would be charged 50 squids to move.

Back