Electricians' strike over pay 'inevitable'

I believe that most other construction workers are too fearful of losing their jobs to support the strike & that the electricians wont be very popular if sites are forced to close causing a loss in pay.

i wouldn't mind a basic wage of 20 quid odd an hour...

bloody hell... no wonder the country is going down the tubes when people are so overpaid...

Me too, wouls solve all my financial issues (at least I don't think I earn that much...what's that in annual gross terms?)

Me too, would solve all my financial issues (at least I don't think I earn that much...what's that in annual gross terms?)

If they do 10 hours a week overtime (not that much; just two hours a day) they would gross nearly €60k a year. Then again they might not do any overtime, make do woth €43.5k, and just do the odd nixer...

As long as other construction workers have the courage to do the right thing and not be bullied into not passing the picket by the union mafia then things should be OK. If union intimidation wins the day then it will cost many more jobs.

From what I heard, strikes were only to take place for works under government contract.

I heard one of the clowns from the TEEU on moaning Ireland last week saying that no member of the TEEU hadlost their job. When questions on this he stuck with the comment.

I guess he must mean no TEEU official, cos I know plenty of members who lost their jobs.

Speaking to regular TEEU members, I gather they are as baffled as we are at this nonsense.

As one of them said to me "I just took a 12% paycut to hang onto my job, I'm hardly in a position to be looking for a payrise!"

I spoke to a building contractor recently and he told me that it wasn't the principal contractors who went mad on their own accord in recent years but the sub-contractors (plumbers, electricians, etc.). He also said that even though he is suffering at the moment, he is delighted that a lot of guys who took a 3-day course to learn how to change a fuse and got to call themselves electricians are now being weeded out. You never know, at the end of this we may end up with new and improved construction industry altogether.

He also said that even though he is suffering at the moment, he is delighted that a lot of guys who took a 3-day course to learn how to change a fuse and got to call themselves electricians are now being weeded out. You never know, at the end of this we may end up with new and improved construction industry altogether.
Ah yes, the self correcting private sector; when there is excess supply only the best survive.

passed a building site in Carlow where a new hi tech developement is being built, lots of security guards outside the site which I'd never seen before.

has a journalist asked Eamon Gilmore where he stands on this strike? If so what did he say, if not it with be a good question to put to him.

As for Jack after listnening to his view on this, I think the trade union movement is over in this country for the private sector, risking more jobs and showing no solidarity for people who are taking paycuts and have lost their jobs. Its not a race to the bottom as jack would have you believe, its a correction!!

Back