Electricians' strike over pay 'inevitable'

Are they looking for a pay rise or is it to stop a pay cut?

I was talking to an electrician last week and he said they were due a pay rise going back a couple of years. He did not expect to get it but wanted to 'Hold what he had' in terms of his current salary.

As long as other construction workers have the courage to do the right thing and not be bullied into not passing the picket by the union mafia then things should be OK. If union intimidation wins the day then it will cost many more jobs.

They are striking for 11%... what more can anyone say.

Not quite, it's just under 5%.

The present hourly rate since 01/04/07 is €21.49 per hour based on 39 hour week.

The increase being sought under the agreement is €1.05 per hour.

They would have got this in April 2008 but it was stopped by the legal challenge to the agreement.

Not quite, it's just under 5%.

The present hourly rate since 01/04/07 is €21.49 per hour based on 39 hour week.

The increase being sought under the agreement is €1.05 per hour.

They would have got this in April 2008 but it was stopped by the legal challenge to the agreement.

Well RTE say it's 11% (Link).
The Irish times say they want an increase from "€21.49 per hour to €23.98." (or €2.49 per hour). That works out at around 11%.
You better let them know that they are all wrong.

How does this look to the rest of the world & potential investors where we have workers going on strike for more pay when we are heading for 15% unemployment and they on €21 p/h

Well RTE say it's 11% (Link).
The Irish times say they want an increase from "€21.49 per hour to €23.98." (or €2.49 per hour). That works out at around 11%.
You better let them know that they are all wrong.

You're correct, sorry. I hadn't realised they were seeking an increase for 2009 as well.

TEEU [broken link removed]

Just shows the quality of information employers are given.

My understanding is that the increases they are looking for are, they believe , due to have been paid over the last couple of years

From what was said on the news last night, employers are looking for a 10% pay cut.

Have to say, one has to wonder if the electricians are living on another planet, given the state of building in Ireland. Also have to wonder what all the TEEU members who've lost their jobs in the last 12 months make of this

I heard one of the clowns from the TEEU on moaning Ireland last week saying that no member of the TEEU hadlost their job. When questions on this he stuck with the comment.

i wouldn't mind a basic wage of 20 quid odd an hour...

bloody hell... no wonder the country is going down the tubes when people are so overpaid...

I heard one of the clowns from the TEEU on moaning Ireland last week saying that no member of the TEEU hadlost their job. When questions on this he stuck with the comment.

Same guy is on the Joe Duffy show this afternoon.

My friend who was telling me about this, informed me a couple of months ago that the company that he works for had 60 employees before Christmas and were down to 19 in April. One of his colleagues had been off work for two weeks due to an injury and when he returned was told he had no job to come back to.

Back