Electrical Dog Collars!

Sorry Marie and all others for sounding too crewel but allow me to explain why I think a training collar was needed, When I first moved to my present address We had a lovely Samoyed called coco was struck by a passing car only a month after moving in, with being beside a main route and in the country with nice large lawns and a small field at the back of our hse where we used to keep a horse, it was a pity not to have dogs, We have 3 dogs now for a number of years The first one never strayed but loved hunting with son he is a springer, after a time we got a unwanted black lab he was fine too until we got our prize rothwiller now he is the one that needed training as he started bringing the lab out ,we got the collar and started to keep an eye on him it took about no more than 6 weeks for him to understand where not to go,We have since lost the collar and over the years he has never went near the road or wont even today, they run free all day no restrictions no run cage or anything but never leave our land especially with sheep farmers all around us,unless in a car which they love, so what I'm saying is the collar is not for life its only a training device for a short time which has definitely saved our dogs lives and gave them the freedom of outdoor life. Imagine we also have a cat that gets on well with the dogs, and by the way I often feel the dogs are treated better than me.

agree to disagree. If it prevents an accident i.e. a person being injured or the dog being hit by a car and killed (my reason for posting this thread) any kind of a shock is worth it.

I think Marie you might be assuming that by using the electric collar we intend to leave the dog alone all day with no interaction.
Not so in my case, most of the time there will be someone with him and he will be indoors a lot, will sleep in doors etc.

However 100yards from my back door there are sheep and I know dogs being dogs they might run after them and would then need to be shot.

The fence will be used as a preventative measure to ensure my dog remains within our boundary.

It will not be a continual process just a training device.

What other option would you suggest to maintain a dog within it's own boundary?

Back