Electrical Dog Collars!

GJPC

Hi all - Just wnodering what your views are on electrical dog collars. Need something to keep dog within site parametre!

Thanks.

I got a very good dog training book recently which is very against these collars - do you not have an alternative i.e putting up fencing or something?

I could put up fencing but its a springer spaniel dog - a great dog and very obedient. He doesn't normally leave the grounds. My brother in law has a similar obedient dog and was killed instantly last night by a little boy racer. The poor dog (bitch) just had pups... I'm just nervous of my own. Thats all.

I have a Springer/setter cross myself - although mine is mad as a brush. It's something that I don't know too much about but if it's a choice between him getting killed on the road or getting a little shock - I know which I'd choose. Don't forget as well that you can get fined if your dog is wandering around on it's own so it's probably a good solution for you - would be interested though in what other people think

Got one about a year ago. Follow the training instructions and it worked perfectly. Our collie will not leave the site now unless his is on the leash. For the last two months the system has been down as the wire got cut with lawnmower. But he has still not even thought about leaving the site without us. Still I intend joining the wire again as I couldnt forgive myself if he got knocked down.

I think he only ever got 1 to 2 shocks initially. Sometimes, when he gets excited, he would go close enough to hear the audible buzzer which indicates he will get a shock if he continues in that direction, but he turns away or sits down at that point. My opinion... well worth it.

Thanks Lads! Beaky how much are you talking about not that cost is an issue with regard to my dogs sfaety - know of a website I look at? thank again

Would be very interested in getting details of this product, what do I look for?
IS there a name for them?
I have a large site and have sheep very near by so want installed before getting a dog.

About €300. I asked for far too much wire at €75 extra. Private supplier I think in the Cabinteeley/Foxrock area who supplied a branded product from his home. I assume he gets them from internet. Had seen him advertise here and there.

Poor dog and her poor little pups. Hope they're old enough to be able to survive. A friend of mine's vet said he would not be in favour of those collars as they could cause cancer in the dog eventually. Check that out.

Am I the only person who thinks these things are cruel? secure your dog's space with fencing. Just because it apparently "works" by preventing the dog from approaching the perimeter doesn't mean its ok- are these things legal? Find another way to contain the poor dog or at least try the collar on your own neck first and see how it feels.

I would imagine a dog would learn fairly quickly not to approch the fence.
In the same way electric fences are used for cattle as a deterrant.

For many big dogs it would be impossible to safely enclose an entire. You would need a very high fence and even then how about access gates etc.

Alternatives are an enclosed run but this means a small area for the dog who would get bored.
In my situation the dog would be living alongside sheep and I could not take a chance that he would not attack.

With this type of fencing he will have access to 1.6 acres of land to roam around in at will.

Dogs are intelligent animals and would soon learn to avoid the fence.

Friends have one for their dog and it works wonderfully, the dog only leaves when on a lead. His learning time was only a matter of days.

I am not a dog so cannot imagine the dog's experience when receiving electric shocks via a collar (passing close to the spinal nerve and brain, incidentally!)

The effects of ECT (electro-convulsive-therapy........or 'shock therapy') on humans is disorientation of most human physiological functions for days, nausea, dramatic loss of short-term memory, depression of affective (emotional) response to environment, lethargy, depression of appetite.

It is not surprising dogs exposed to this experience when approaching a boundary fence 'learn' within a few days!

These discussions on control of canines and the kind of methods recommended to keep livestock 'safe' from them and keep the canines 'safe' from staying, traffic and injury are intriguing. Dogs are domesticated wolves who for millenia have lived and worked guarding, herding, hunting and providing companionship to human individuals and groups. They are 'pack' animals; they are unhappy when coralled alone however many acres they are alone in. They are immensely responsive to the humans with whom they establish co-dependencies and are eager to co-operate. Their co-operation is achieved through clear command and verbal and 'treat' reward of desired behaviours not by electrocution.

Hope this helps.

Would much prefer my dog to get a whack from the electrical studs in the collar than a slap of a little boy racer in a jazzed up micra with go faster stripes doing 60/70 on a country road. The dog is not stupid - once he gets a sting and with some verbal coaxing/commands he will stay clear. Bamhan I understand you completely as you're in a similar situation to me. We dont have to explain ourselves. Coinfused for the record - a friend of mine tried one of these on his own, yes its a whack alright but remember a dogs pain tolerance is 35 times greater than a human!

Tried this system but it did not work for me. Pup was too young I think and he just ran straight through it most of the time particularly if he seen another dog. I tried for several days to bring him to the fence and jump back (training manual) as the beep came on.
I ended up using fencing and real electrical wire in places I could not put fencing in. This worked well but getting him neutered at 1 year old was the best. He calmed down and now at 3 year old I can leave him outside the front door and he wont wander.

You will find more info below about a dog training collar This is by far a better way of training your dog for to remain inside boundaries and to train him or her when hunting or barking too much, the one thing does it all but you have to be in attendance while training, [broken link removed] / .ie

I would not like an electrical collar to prevent barking as I think dogs bark for a reason so would prefer to get to the root casue of excessive barking rather than use electrical collar.
I would not like to be cruel to an animal so will read up more on these devices from independent sources before deciding.

On a lighter note I am going to see my new puppy for the first time tonight, he is only tiny so won't be taking him for a good while yet.
But just going for a peek.

For 'adjustable impulse strength' read 'level of electrical shock'.........the effects of which are - as I pointed out in my previous post - inducement of an epileptic seizure.

To repeat the point - dogs are 'pack' creatures (that is, they are social) and their nature is to live in groups. The 'group' can be other dog, or humans, or combination of dogs and humans. If they are isolated and alone they will because it is their nature!!! seek company. That company-seeking involves making their presence felt to attract others (barking) or going somewhere where there is company - other dogs or people.

I have a number of questions about all these electronic punishments, 'invisible fences' (shock treatments) 'silent whistles' (torture to animals with extremely acute hearing) etc. It is this. If

(continued) Electrical Dog Collars!

Dogs have traditionally lived with humans; they have a mutually satisfactory arrangement whereby dogs assist with hunting, protecting and companionship whilst the humans make the dogs' lives longer and more pleasant by sharing food-supplies increased through the help of the dog.

Dogs communicate their needs and moods very clearly...........unmistakeably, actually!!!!........to humans. Humans have the equipment (voice, facial expression) to communicate in return with dogs (or, in other words, to "train" them so they perform wanted actions and behaviours, and don't perform unwanted behaviours and actions).

Why, in that case, do you feel you must/need to forego the existing technology (that is, the relationship and the communication between dog and man) and instead "get an electric collar and a couple of miles of electrified fencing" to make/force (???) the dog to do something which is totally contrary to its nature.........that thing being to sit alone for hours on end on its own in a field/park/garage/garden/kitchen (and then, presumably, apply stronger and stronger doses of epileptic seizure if it continues to manifest signs of loneliness despair and distress).

The longer I live, the more I wonder about the role and status of homo sapiens on this poor suffering planet!