Electric Scooters and collisions.

I don't get the point of relative numbers? There are way more pedestrians than motorists. If your point followed the lack of regulation and training there would see them causing 10's of thousands of deaths each year.
I'd put it to you that pedestrians do cause a lot of accidents - but also, that most benefited from basic training (most of us were taught to cross roads at traffic lights, and some of us are even old enough to remember The Green Cross Code ;-))

That's for insurance cover for the driver's personal injuries or for the scooter itself, not public liability cover. The context above was an e-scooter colliding with a pedestrian, so I assumed it related to the pedestrian's ability to claim compensation. In that event the pedestrian would be able to claim against the scooter rider. If the rider had public liability cover via a home insurance policy, that would come into play. If they didn't have such cover (living in rented accommodation with no contents cover whatsoever for example), they'd be personally liable if found at fault.
Correct, and good luck collecting damages against a 14 yr old boyo whose parents have been dumb enough to buy him an e scoooter in the first place.

Correct, and good luck collecting damages against a 14 yr old boyo whose parents have been dumb enough to buy him an e scoooter in the first place.
Good luck pursuing most minor damages claims directly. It's illegal for a 14 year old to use an e-scooter in public, so it's not like they could have separate liability insuarnce.

I'd put it to you that pedestrians do cause a lot of accidents -
Yes, pedestrians are noted as a contributory factor in a minority of accidents, usually coming off worst.

but also, that most benefited from basic training (most of us were taught to cross roads at traffic lights, and some of us are even old enough to remember The Green Cross Code ;-))
And have e-scooter users missed out on that training?

remember The Green Cross Code ;-))
One of Brendan Grace's Greatest Hits. :D

The bit that bothers me is as usual detection and enforcement.

The existing ancient road traffic laws are not enforced, so how will the now almost two-week-old laws fare? Ignored as well no doubt. "Arra but shure we're too busy to be bothered with minor shtuff like that!"

Last edited:
The existing ancient road traffic laws are not enforced,
The law is in force a week and nothing has changed. Where I live I see delivery drivers whizzing past on bikes not pedalling at 30kmh. Bikes have clearly been hacked for speed and assistance control. Drivers are clearly changing batteries several times a shift to keep up that speed at that level of power consumption.

I note this as a user and and fan of both e-scooters and e-bikes. On my pretty urban bike commute to work I feel more at risk from hacked, high-speed e-bikes than cars.

Like most things related to road traffic legislation in Ireland AGS have it very low priority.

Gardai said they sized 175 scramblers, quads and escooters in Dublin in March and April. figure nationally would obviously be higher but no breakdown as to how many were scooters.

To be honest, it's the parents who should be targeted and prosecuted for buying these for u16s

Gardai said they sized 175 scramblers, quads and escooters in Dublin in March and April. figure nationally would obviously be higher but no breakdown as to how many were scooters.

To be honest, it's the parents who should be targeted and prosecuted for buying these for u16s

Right or wrong, I had assumed that most of those were belonging to the groups suspected of dealing / transporting drugs around, tbh.

Back