Eircom/Vodafone

frankmac

When Eircom shares were launched I bought shares in the names of myself, wife and three children. As you know they are now vodafone shares and was wondering is there a simple way to sell the five holdings. Will I have to pay charges on each holding?

It's possible that the [broken link removed] might be the most cost effective way to sell the shares. If consolidating the shares into fewer names might help reduce charges (not sure if it does) then you or your wife can transfer shares to each other with no CGT or stamp duty implications and possibly at no administrative cost. Contact the registrar for more on this. Not sure about the issues involved in transferring shares from your children's names though. Don't forget to keep tabs on all figures for tax purposes. See this thread as well on this issue.

It's possible that the [broken link removed] might be the most cost effective way to sell the shares. If consolidating the shares into fewer names might help reduce charges (not sure if it does) then you or your wife can transfer shares to each other with no CGT or stamp duty implications and possibly at no administrative cost. Contact the registrar for more on this. Not sure about the issues involved in transferring shares from your children's names though. Don't forget to keep tabs on all figures for tax purposes. See this thread as well on this issue.

Thanks very much for that Clubman

Back