Effect of budget .

So i'm not the only one with this view and the fact that the now generation have a serious shock coming in the next while !

Has anyone else picked up on the "I wish the new Lisbon Treaty vote was next week so that we can vote Yes this time" vibe around the place or is it just me?

I haven't noticed this. I think most people who voted no did so because they hadn't a clue what the treaty was about, and the Government couldn't explain it to them. I don't think people are really thinking that much about the Lisbon Treaty at the moment, to be honest.

So i'm not the only one with this view and the fact that the now generation have a serious shock coming in the next while !

Nope you're not and I had enough of a memory of the bad times to know that even when times seemed to be unlimited wealth, let's just live within a nice budget and save up for the stuff we really want.

I say that not to be smug or I told you so. Say that the we'll all die from an asteroid strike for long enough and eventually you'll get to say "I told you so". I'm lucky we didn't get caught up in the rush to be a consumer, but just like I don't see the Government as the sole architects of our doom, I don't feel I want to rub people's noses in it too much either.

I'm just not sure that I can be happy that people will face this shock. I'm not sure I can be smug about it. (not saying you are btw).

I really do sympathise with those who did take up the banks and the consumer idea. Jon Ronson looked at the subprime issue over 2 years ago, it's pretty frightening how people were targeted for this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2007/feb/10/creditcards.debt

Great post and i feel its people who have seen it before will manage best this time around. I do feel for the now generation because i think it really will hit them hard.

I do feel for the now generation because i think it really will hit them hard.

If you mean teenagers, I think its the best thing that will ever happen to them. There is a whole generation of spoilt, over indulged kids out there who think life owes them a designer wardrobe, three foreign holidays a year, state of the art mobiles etc etc. Its about time they got a wake up call. I don't want to sound harsh, and I know not all teenagers are like that, but it was a frightening thought that the future of this country was in the hands of such a materialistic, sheltered, over protected generation.

Anyone under 25 i'd go with. Since when did it become standard to have foreign holiday after the leaving cert ?? We had a session in the local night club

But your post sums up the now generation and some of them are grown up and married and own houses etc so more to lose than the weekly allowance.

Um an obvious question: who spoilt them? So how is a potential slide back to mass unemployment, emigration good for them? How is it that good for anyone?

Um an obvious question: who spoilt them? So how is a potential slide back to mass unemployment, emigration good for them? How is it that good for anyone?

No one said it was good but you have to learn to within your means and the best lessons in life are the hardest.

Also if everything in life is handed to you on a plate how do you know the value of it or money ? What i'm saying isn't nice but neither will life be for the next few years.......if you see the bad then when the good comes along you won't take it for granted.

The ipod fairy just died.

I couldn't agree more. But the ones who spoilt this generation were the parents, but it's the kids who will pay. While I may lament their lack of awareness of how hard life can be, I can't take too much pleasure in what they could be facing largely because they were never taught those lessons.

And to sit on the fence even more! I can understand where parents were coming from. We can question their lack of foresight and all that, but most just didn't want their kids to go without like they had to. Who can blame them for that?

I know this sounds like I'm getting all overly liberal and soft, but I think the time has long passed for any pointing fingers or I told you so's. The problem needs to be fixed and that's what we have to do, I actually don't want to get into a situation again where the kids have no hope, no prospects and a destitute country again. Even if it means some lessons in life aren't learned.

I totally agree with this. I'm not saying unemployment for young people is a good thing but I do think learning to do without, save up, prioritise what you need, learn that money doesn't grow on trees etc is very important. My post was in relation to a remark about 'feeling sorry' for this generation and, to be honest, my sympathy is with the older generation who have spent their lives making do and putting up. Just when they were able to relax a bit and enjoy life, they now have to pay for the mess made by the generation below them.

I feel sorry for the majority the young( and middle/old aged), who I believe, are decent and hard working. Not only are they victims of a corrupt and incompetent government, they have to put up with comments like this - suggesting that they need to learn that 'money doesn't grow on trees'. The young people I know, worked hard in school and college, and in the workplace to build successful lives. They didn't create the conditions where house prices rocketed out of control, or banks loaned vast sums to developers to speculate.
Some posters on this thread suggest that people should have lived within their means, and built in contingency. Good for those who had the means to do this, but plenty didn't, because they needed somewhere to live, and a car to commute to work, and money to pay for childcare etc.

Even if everyone had managed to provide for reasonable contingency (say 10%), its clear that the FF mob are going to take a further 10% in December, and even more later. So, where does contingency planning end - should we have been putting 30%,40%,50%.....away for a rainy day.

To those FF/Green supporters, high earning public servants, independently wealthy,tax exiles and others who are cosseted from reality , I suggest you come out of your ivory towers into the real world, and you will see that the rest of us have been screwed by this government, and we aren't prepared to settle for a moral lecture, or for a 'dance at the cross road'.........

Last edited:
This is very unbalanced. Indeed, buyers do need to bear responsibility for their own actions, but they had very few options. The Govt was delighted to sit back and watch the banks/builders inflate inflate inflate prices until they reached an unsustainable level. It was everything to do with FF's relationship with the construction industry.

Nobody's saying they created the conditions. We're saying they grew up in an environment where money was splashed around, consumerism was rampant, values were often focussed on purely material issues etc. This is bound to affect their view of life and their ability to deal with negatives, rejection etc. Nobody's saying they don't work hard, just that they haven't had to deal with a lot of the crap older generations had to put up with. And you cannot possibly deny that a lot of today's younger generation are very spoilt. I cannot remember the last time I saw anyone under the age of about 25 standing up on a bus to offer their seat to an elderly or pregnant person. We did this as a matter of course when I was a teenager.

imo Government are solely to blame for this mess. For the past 12 years + they squandered all the boom money. They should have spent more time worrying about the state of the economy than spending time in their galway tent. Bunch of.......