Key Post Edinburgh.

G

gweebarra

Any ideas for good & reasonable hotels for a midweek night in Edinburgh? Good accomodation based websites for Edinburgh wold also be great.
Thanks.

Re: Edinburgh Hotels

Try the Frederick House Hotel www.frederick-house-hotel.activehotels.com/OPW.

It's in the new Town, and very central - 5 mins walk to Prince's Street. Rooms are pleasant enough, probably best if you get one facing the street as the view is probably pretty grim otherwise.

There's no bar or restaurant on the premises. Breakfast is taken in Café Rouge across the road. There's no car park either, but they do have an arrangement with a multi-story about ten minutes walk away. I didn't have a problem with any of this, by the way....

Holiday inn

Don't stay at the Holiday Inn........
Service was crap, 50 min walk from Princes street no matter what they stay....room wasn't great either

Jurys Inn

Jurys Inn isn't bad, right beside Waverly station & 5 mins walk from Princes Street, around STG£90 per night exc breakfast, but you can fit 3 adults in the room, Clean & pleasant.

hotel ibis is just fine

Gweebarra, we stayed in the hotel ibis just around the corner from the royal mile. Very cental, parking is a 5 minute walk away. £60 stg during fringe festival. rooms are spotless, hotel is new. Ask for Michelle who is a receptionist from galway.
you can get the number here.

Address
6 Hunter Square
Off Royal Mile
EH1 1QW
EDINBURGH
UNITED KINGDOM
Tel : (+44)131/2407000
Fax : (+44)131/2407007
Hotel manager
Mr Nicolas LEGALL

I have no association with ibis, just found they did what they said on the tin so to speak.

Re: Edinburgh Hotels

I stayed in the Broughton hotel for £35 sterling single - double was £50. Rooms are small enough but has everything. Five mins from Princes street walking. Lovely breakfast. Was the cheapest I could get at the time. It's only a slight step up from a guest house though but good all the same. Here's where I booked it from on the net.

edinburgh hotels

stayed in Grosvenor Stakis hotel in Edinburgh a few years ago. Lovely Hotel, very central. Very reasonable then anyway ( stg 33 pp pn dbb) I think that Hilton have taken over all the Stakis Hotels so the price is probably gone through the roof. Have you tried laterooms.com brilliant if you want to leave it until near the time or expedia.co.uk also if you check out needahotel.com with Ryanair and find what you want go to Easyjet.com and book through them. its the exact same site but easyjet is slightly cheaper, probably to do with vat or something. Also when in either easyjet or ryanairs site you specify euros not sterling or dollars.

Hotel Prices

All the hotels I have tried are VERY pricey.Anyone tried a B&B or guesthouse? My flights are reasonable (around 185 for the 3 of us) but won't book it if the accomadation is so expensive. Would have a foreign holiday for the prices of some of the hotels and we only want a quite reasonable break away for our anniversary....

Edinburgh accommodation

I've been to Edinburgh a few times and stayed in Edinburgh Central Apartments. They're right behind the castle so they're quite central and they're very accommodating. I also noticed the last time that they seem to have all manner of cots, baby chairs etc, so that might make it easier for you!! their website is www.edinburgh-central-apartments.co.uk. Enjoy!

re

I've been to Edinburgh three times in the last 2 years (good old Ryanair!!) and have always stayed in the same place. Its a self catering flat, which is approx 10 mins from Princes St by bus and about 40 mins walking. Its fantastic, approx 60 stg per night, and just really nice. It is upstairs, but has everything that your toddler would need - highchair, cot - even toys!
here is the website: www.aboutscotland.com/edin/grange.html

Its actually the one on Fountainhall road I'm talking about, but I'm sure all the flats are as good. The owner, Mandy, is lovely aswell and very accommodating.

Enjoy!

Re: >>Edinburgh Hotels.

Some other posts

02dublinwrx
edinburgh-good restaurant?

Looking for a good restaurant, steakhouse? in Edinburgh. heading there next weekend, any info appreciated!

valc1
Re: edinburgh-good restaurant?

The Witchery - near the Castle. Not cheap - but well worth it. Needs to be booked in advance.

www.thewitchery.com/

Travel fan
edinburgh restaurant

If it's a romantic break you can't beat The Witchery (see www.witchery.com). It's short notice so you may not get a reservation but def worth a try. Four courses and a bottle of wine will set you back about £100stg. It also has The Secret Garden and you might get a table there.
Ricks and Oloroso are also pricey but nice.
Great city.

coininban
edinburg restaurant

sorry to be boring but yep, the witchery stands out in my mind too. Dear but the quality of the food is never to be forgotten and so romantic - if applicable!! If you want somewhere out of the ordinary, it has to be it! Compared to it, other places, though good, seemed just ordinary.

Marion
Re: edinburgh-good restaurant?

[broken link removed] gives a very comprehensive list of restaurants and prices phone numbers etc. You can check out the details of the restaurants mentioned in the above posts. I have also edited the post to include the www.edinburgh.org/

Marion

John
Accommodation in Edinburgh

Can anyone recommend good accomodation in Edinburgh for the missus and me for a weekend.

decbuck
Jurys

Jurys Hotel is very central, nice hotel and very reasonable.

Nellie
Hotel in Edinburgh

The Apex International is a good hotel. The view from the restaurant which is at the top of the hotel is of Edinburgh Castle.

MaxKolbe03
Global User
Re: Hotel in Edinburgh

Try Edinburgh First at www.edinburghfirst.com/

It's the Edinburgh university accomodations office renting out there student accomodation. Very nice it is too. But it'll be limited if you go during term time.

Same goes if you're visiting St. Andrews up the road...St. Andrews University do a similar thing.

Enjoy. Edinburgh is A great city.

beetroot
Ibis

The Ibis is very central and very resonable, I think it's ~£50 per room per night.

Enaja
Re: Ibis

Where to stay:

www.ardmorhouse.com/
[broken link removed]
www.point-hotel.co.uk/
www.abercrombyhouse.com/

A bit more on the expensive side:

www.thewitchery.com/
www.prestonfield.com/

Eating Out:

Cheap: Henderson's Bistro, 94 Hanover St.
Valvona & Crolla, 19 Elm Row.
Midrange:Skippers, 1a Dock Place.
The Tower, Chambers St.
Pricey:Restaurant Martin Wishart, 54 The Shore.
Oloroso, 33 Castle St.

*All recommended in Travel section of Sunday Times (last week)

JohnnieKipper
Re: Edinburgh

Thank you all for these recomendations. I will investigate these this week.

Re: >>Edinburgh Hotels.

I came across a site called www.late rooms. com which seems to have a lot of last minute deals (for Edinburgh Hotels industry?). Has anyone booked through this site?

Re: Key Post: Edinburgh.

Hi Guys,

Just wondering can anybody recommend a centrally located hotel for a 2 night break. This post is a little outdated now so just looking for current info.

Thanks!

While you are there why not check out this tour group - [broken link removed]. And this one - http://www.realmarykingsclose.com. It may sound "toursisty" but they are a great way to pass a couple of hours.

Thanks ... TLC... going to Edinburgh to do the "touristy" bit actually.

Any other accommodation recommendations or places to avoid? Not so much into Party Central :p these days.

+1 The Witchery near the Castle but book in advance and request the back restaurant. I think its called the Secret Garden. Better atmosphere. Also The Dome is very nice. It was spectacular last Christmas with their decorations and the food is very good.

The art galleries on Princes street are really great to & (if you're into this kind of thing) the museum in Chambers Street & the Botanic Gardens. There is also a big shopping centre http://www.oceanterminal.com (just in case the weather isn't great). It's a pity that at the moment there are road works all along Princes street (putting in something similar to the Luas) but the gardens on the other side of the street are still beautiful & well worth a walk through.

Just booked a midweek break for 7 persons last week through Ryanair. Michael O'Leary - my hero!!!!! 14cent for our flights..... great to have the 'visa electron' card... (entropay).
I have booked a 4 bedroom apt. Edinburgh Pearl Apartments, they have a hugh reduction at the moment, at least for the middle of October. Got the apt for aprox 200euro for the 2 nights.... they are listed for 300 per night!!!!
They have 1 bedroom apts also, see how you get on.

Back