Eddie Hobbs on the late late show

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this talk about taxing pension contributions etc. (do you not realise the Budget already put a cap on pension tax relief and also its good public policy to encourage people to provide for themselves)? is missing the point.
Our government squandered the wealth created by the boom and now cannot afford to look after its citizens basic needs for heatth, education etc. Most other countries (Uk, USA, Chine, etc., etc.) are putting money back into their economies to stimulate some level of growth. Ours is taking more money out, which will further depress our economy, probably into a full blown depression. Make no mistake we are going to face extremely difficult times, with no options, due to the scandalous waste of our public resourses during the boom. The politians who got us into this must be called to account and never serve office again

he did his best to make sense considering the panel of "experts" he was on with. Nell McCafeterty was totally at sea - did anyone tell her why she was coming on? and Joe was just annoying as always.

Couldn't agree more. The most disappointing thing about that particular discussion was that Kenny allowed that attention seeking, loud mouthed, clueless buffoon Nell Mcafferty to dominate proceedings. Then again empty vessels make most noise I suppose.

Couldn't agree more. The most disappointing thing about that particular discussion was that Kenny allowed that attention seeking, loud mouthed, clueless buffoon Nell Mcafferty to dominate proceedings. Then again empty vessels make most noise I suppose.
Well, he did rather distract proceedings by showing the picture of her in the nip half way through the discussion. Once again, RTE obfusticate debate either by incompetence or design.

Well, he did rather distract proceedings by showing the picture of her in the nip half way through the discussion. Once again, RTE obfusticate debate either by incompetence or design.

Well it is light entertainment so that was what was on display.

he did his best to make sense considering the panel of "experts" he was on with. Nell McCafeterty was totally at sea - did anyone tell her why she was coming on? and Joe was just annoying as always.

They were on to discuss the year that's gone. Eddie's forte was obviously finance. Although I admit- I'm not sure she contributed to a synopsis of the year gone by.

Dont ever listen to E.Hobbs. Flogging overseas property was bad enough. Its not long ago he declared that the abolition of below cost selling would lead to price competition in the grocery trade and thus prices would fall sharply...........I could have told anyone that this was crap as the grocery business is one MAJOR cartel.

Maybe so on The Late Late .... in fairness to RTE, they do a stellar job with Prime Time and Q&A where there is shortage of thoughtful reporting/debate.

Whenever Nell appears I switch channels ... I can't hack it.

The most disappointing thing about that particular discussion was that Kenny allowed that attention seeking, loud mouthed, clueless buffoon Nell Mcafferty to dominate proceedings. Then again empty vessels make most noise I suppose.

you took the words out of my mouth, well said

Thanks to the contributor who posted the link (I'd rather drink paint than watch the late late show). I don't understand why Nell McC was put on the late late perched between joe duffy and the wiliest man in ireland - just who is advising pat kenny?

Saw him today on some RTE fluff. He's sticking to his guns that all this credit crunch/financial crisis mullarkey is small beer, a "mere tremor - over by second half 2009". The real "earthquake" is that we are running out of oil.

Personally, I prefer to keep focus on the next couple of years and with oil at 45$ a barrel this is the one bright spot we have. In any case, if we are facing an oil earthquake Eddie's proposed solution (cue pictures of windmills) is that we will be saved by Airtricity. Seriously, wind power etc. can never, never hope to be the major contributor to our energy requirements. Anyway, at last we know his political allegiances, he's as Green as the Rathmines dome.

Quite simple really

Public sector employees are overpaid vrs other countries and vrs private sector.
Public Sector Pay and Pension Benefits are too high.
Public Sector productivity and accountability is poor.
Politicians and semi state body managers and related consultants and quangos are overpaid, ineffecient and oftentimes unnecessary.
Unions are behaving equally as immoral as our politicians have in the past in their current stance on pay rates - public and private sector.
Minimum wage is too high.
Double time on sunday is wrong (in certain industries).
CIF pension scheme contributions are wrong and too high.
Many JLC pay scales are set far too high i.e. electricians, builders labourers, other trades.
Tax needs to be increased.

All of the above makes us uncompetitive and broke.

Quite simple really

I agree with most of your points particularly:

How do you know/Prove this?

Does this go against most economist opinions?

All this talk about taxing pension contributions etc. (do you not realise the Budget already put a cap on pension tax relief and also its good public policy to encourage people to provide for themselves)? is missing the point.
Our government squandered the wealth created by the boom and now cannot afford to look after its citizens basic needs for heatth, education etc. Most other countries (Uk, USA, Chine, etc., etc.) are putting money back into their economies to stimulate some level of growth. Ours is taking more money out, which will further depress our economy, probably into a full blown depression. Make no mistake we are going to face extremely difficult times, with no options, due to the scandalous waste of our public resourses during the boom. The politians who got us into this must be called to account and never serve office again
I dont think the poster or EH was advocating taxing pension contributions, just advocating dropping the tax breaks for putting money into a pension scheme-which makes some sense in my book particularly if the pensions are of the DB kind.....

I have to say I didnt see EH on The Late Late, but he has been talking about what we are currently going through for the past few years and has been largely correct in his assumptions.
Brendan investments was a vehicle for foreign property investments, I doubt it is doing too well but I had heard that they were finding it difficult to get it off the ground so it may not have taken off at all......they guy has to make some money somewhere, I dont think adding his name to this investment vehicle was doing anything untoward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back